Importing Microsoft Exchange

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I have old Exchange 5.5 db and log files.

I have a brand new install of Exchange 2003...

I extracted all the data out of the 5.5 db in to pst files using exmerge

Now I need to import it in to the new server. So I have created a mailbox to test with. I am getting permission errors, and I can not find out where.

By any small chance, have any of you been in this situation before?

I am for about the millionth time going to be out on a job expected to fix something that my boss and everyone else knows I have no idea how to do. Yet they just assume I am the smart one that figures things out so I can do it. Geezus, I hate working for tech companies that do not have any real techs. Im a+ and net + not mcse for christs sake.

help :buck:

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Post the exact message and I can tell what's wrong, I do Exchange all day long :)

Ps.. you don't MCSE to do Exchange, experience will teach you more than any book will ;)
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Post the exact message and I can tell what's wrong, I do Exchange all day long :)

Ps.. you don't MCSE to do Exchange, experience will teach you more than any book will ;)

I fixed all the permission errors, it was just an issue of security settings within their public folders.

A new problem has arrised. I can not import their old public folder, which I have in the database and in pst format. It appears to be corrupt. I suppose I have to use esseutil or something.

My new issue is I do not have an active Exchange 5.5 server with any utilities on it. Even if I had them I wouldn't be sure if a repair on the database would do much.

By the way, I know you are right about the certifications. Plenty of the guys I work with have tons of them but they do not actually know how to fix anything.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I can't get the public folders out of the old Exchange DB for the life of me. :thumbsdow

The best I can do is create a half ass pst file that doesn't help.