RAID controller dead

edited November 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

I'm new here, and I have a problem with my RAID setup.

I have a generic Sylicon Image 8212 RAID controller with four disks (two RAID 0 setups), that seems to have failed.

I had Windows booting off one of the raid arrays, but now it won't start at all.

The funny thing is that at the BIOS boot time, I am able to get into the controller's bios and see/change setup (it shows the disks connected and the raid configurations), but later on the OS can't see it. I can boot windows off a different disk, and in device manager it shows the raid controller with a question mark (driver not installed and/or not working).

I even tried booting a Linux installation CD. When installing the driver for RAID, the Linux kernel freezes.

So I'm pretty sure the controller is malfunctioning, even thought it appears OK on the BIOS startup.

My question is: can I buy a different controller (same chipset if necessary) and configure it, and connect my drives without loosing the data? I don't know anything about how these things initialize, and I am affraid to just try it fearing that the new controller will initialize the disks if I just connect it and configure it.

Any help and/or insight is appreciated.