EXPIRED $50 hard drives for folding rigs - today only

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
Just wanted to get the word out that Woot! has 6GB USB hard drives for $50 today. Might be a good option for those of you debating building a quiet dedicated folding rig, since it's getting a little difficult to find cheap, reliable small hard drives to install WinXP on. Of course, you could always just run it from a USB thumbdrive, but for $50, you can only pick up 1GB from staples these days...

Maybe pair this with a $98 3.2Ghz Pentium 805 from Newegg...might make a cheap-o folding rig with not-too-shabby performance. (Motherboard, memory and PSU needed, of course)

Woot!

Comments

• edited November 2006
    The biggest problem I see with those are the price, TT. You can buy 4-40 gig and 8-80 gig hard drives in both sata and ide flavors from Newegg for $50 or less shipped. Why buy such a small capacity hard drive when you can get a bigger drive for the same money?
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    The biggest problem I see with those are the price, TT. You can buy 4-40 gig and 8-80 gig hard drives in both sata and ide flavors from Newegg for $50 or less shipped. Why buy such a small capacity hard drive when you can get a bigger drive for the same money?

I guess I like the idea of being able to install an OS on a thumbdrive specifically for folding... The idea would be that you can have either:

a linux install and get the big-point WU's, then boot to the normal HD when you want to play games

a Windows install, so you can take your (folding) install around with you.

Eh, not for everybody, but I thought I'd get the word out...
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I guess I like the idea of being able to install an OS on a thumbdrive specifically for folding... The idea would be that you can have either:

a linux install and get the big-point WU's, then boot to the normal HD when you want to play games

a Windows install, so you can take your (folding) install around with you.

Eh, not for everybody, but I thought I'd get the word out...

Cool, but you can still do that with normal drives :nudge:
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Cool, but you can still do that with normal drives :nudge:

'is that a windows-installed SATA drive in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2006
    Just get a 8gb flash drive. NAND prices are falling every day. Everyone and their brother are building fabs to manufacture NAND products these days.