PCI Express and AGP on one board

WeedoWeedo New
edited December 2006 in Hardware
Is there a board that has both on it? I want to upgrade but not have to replace my video card right away. I'm lookin but I haven't found one yet.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    There are a few out there, but your limited on the type of CPU it supports.

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/7/943/11120

Here is a review: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/16/asrock_939dual/
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    That got me on the right path. I found it here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157097 at Newegg. I really want to get it but I have never tried Asrock before. Some of the comments have me leary... the instability concerns. The price is right and it has everything else I want though. I'm torn. Anyone have Asrock experience?

This is a bad time to have a good AGP video card.
  • edited November 2006
    Weedo wrote:
    That got me on the right path. I found it here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157097 at Newegg. I really want to get it but I have never tried Asrock before. Some of the comments have me leary... the instability concerns. The price is right and it has everything else I want though. I'm torn. Anyone have Asrock experience?

This is a bad time to have a good AGP video card.

Well, that board is the only one in the market with real AGP 8X and real PCI Express x16 slots. It has good overclocking capability and also as good performance as any other chipset (see my signature). The only limitation is vcore limit and there is a simple mod for that. Following is a link where you can read more. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=196664
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    So did you have the problems mentioned by some? As in this review at Newegg for this board.

Cons: I have had this board for a little over two weeks. For 12 days I have been getting random lockups, from the welcome screen to file transfers and just idle time's. Checked this problem online and found that it is not uncommon. I verified the stability of my hardware and did a burn in test, all passed. Reseated the memory and also unpluged then plugged in all the drives. It has been 3 days now and the board is running fantastic (cross my fingers).

Also, I don't plan to overclock so I don't think I'll be messin with the vcore. Or should I? Also, are you using both AGP cards? Maybe those cards come in both, I haven't looked into that yet. Did you do those soldering mods?
  • edited November 2006
    Weedo wrote:
    So did you have the problems mentioned by some? As in this review at Newegg for this board.

Cons: I have had this board for a little over two weeks. For 12 days I have been getting random lockups, from the welcome screen to file transfers and just idle time's. Checked this problem online and found that it is not uncommon. I verified the stability of my hardware and did a burn in test, all passed. Reseated the memory and also unpluged then plugged in all the drives. It has been 3 days now and the board is running fantastic (cross my fingers).

Also, I don't plan to overclock so I don't think I'll be messin with the vcore. Or should I? Also, are you using both AGP cards? Maybe those cards come in both, I haven't looked into that yet. Did you do those soldering mods?

Actually, I have three 939Dual boards, the first one was SATA2 kind and I had bought as open box from Newegg. It was running fine and I was feeling grateful to the person who returned it. But I shorted that board and it was completely my fault. In short, what I am saying is, most of those reported problems are false. But, of course, I can not personally guarantee that all boards will be fine. Anyway, I still keep the broken board to practice soldering on it :)
    Then, I bought two VSTA's. They are essentially same with SATA2 version, other than upgraded sound, and some additional tweaks in the BIOS (such as north and south bridge voltages, larger range of vdimm)

I do not know which processor, so it will be your decision to mod if you feel you need it. The board supplies up to 0.5 volt above the default voltage without any vmod. I recommend using conductive pen (you can buy from Radio Shack) for vmod, it is safer.

Regarding AGP cards, I use both ATI and Nvidia without any problems at full AGP speed. PCI Express is natively supported by north bridge, incompatibility as less of a risk compared to AGP. But, do not take me wrong, both AGP and PCI Express are the real ones, no compromises.

So, I think, I replied your questions. Let me know again if I can help further.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    Sounds good. I took the plunge.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    How did you attach the Big Typhoons to the motherboard. I can see no way to do it with the hardware given.
  • edited November 2006
    Weedo wrote:
    How did you attach the Big Typhoons to the motherboard. I can see no way to do it with the hardware given.

If you have the earlier (or original) version, you need to take off the bracket (black plastic frame for heatsink attachment on the motherboard), than you can follow the instructions in the heatsink manual. The new VX version of Big Typhoon can be attached using the bracket. I hope this answers your question, I may not be able to reply quickly next time since I am traveling this week.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    There is no backplate on the motherboard to attach too. Did yours have one? I don't have the VX.
  • edited November 2006
    Weedo wrote:
    There is no backplate on the motherboard to attach too. Did yours have one? I don't have the VX.

Just use the backplate in TT BT package, it is an H shaped metal plate. See the manual for instructions.

!!!!!!!! And do not forget to insert sponge and kevlar pieces between the motherboard and H shaped metal back plate. You might have already seen this in the manual but it is a scary mistake to do !!!!!!!
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    Ok, I think I'm getting it. There are resistors or something on the back of the mobo behind the processor... I'm afraid of damaging them when I tighten down on the bracket.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    Ok, Thanks a bunch. You got me through it. I was looking at the standard instructions and not seeing that there was an alternative on the back. I see the sponge and insulator. I'll get it now. Again.... thanks.
  • edited November 2006
    Weedo wrote:
    Ok, I think I'm getting it. There are resistors or something on the back of the mobo behind the processor... I'm afraid of damaging them when I tighten down on the bracket.

You will use the sponge and kevlar pieces to protect the components on the back side of the motherboard. You can tighten with this protection. Insert two of the four long screws that are given for Socket 775 installation from the back side of the motherboard when the back plate is in place, and insert red washers from the front side of the motherboard, after that, tighten with yellow(gold) nuts. I followed the description in TT-BT manual.
  • edited November 2006
    The 939 DSATA is a great board, and currently supports all modern (AMD) CPU choices. Just make sure you flash the board to the latest BIOS version.

You can also use both AGP and PCI-E at the same time if you wish, which is a nice option for those who like multi-monitor setups.
  • edited November 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    The 939 DSATA is a great board, and currently supports all modern (AMD) CPU choices. Just make sure you flash the board to the latest BIOS version.

You can also use both AGP and PCI-E at the same time if you wish, which is a nice option for those who like multi-monitor setups.

Hey, nice to find another happy Asrock 939Dual owner :)
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    Yep, I got it. Thanks. Now that I'm lookin at the right instructions it's goin smooth.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    Ok, cpu, cooler and memory installation is complete. Time to take her down to complete the rebuild. See you on the other side.... I hope. :honoes:
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    I guess not. It won't post. :banghead:
  • edited November 2006
    Did the fans go on? Any beeping at all? Did you try resetting the CMOS?
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2006
    I solved the problem. I forgot to plug in that 4 pin power connector. I thought it was an Intel thing as I've never had to plug it into an AMD board before. I'm rocking and rolling now.
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, that'll do it. :P
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited December 2006
    Update:

1 month in and the Asrock 939Dual-VSTA board is working out great. No problems and no regrets.

:celebrate
  • edited December 2006
    Weedo wrote:
    Update:

1 month in and the Asrock 939Dual-VSTA board is working out great. No problems and no regrets.

:celebrate

Same here, both boards are working as stable as it can get, even with 30% and 50% overclock. :rockon:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    Weedo wrote:
    I solved the problem. I forgot to plug in that 4 pin power connector. I thought it was an Intel thing as I've never had to plug it into an AMD board before. I'm rocking and rolling now.

My ABIT KD7-RAID has the 4 pin power connector, so thats been a requirement for AMD as well for about 4 years.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    It was a superficial connection on any AMD board that wasn't EPS12v-compliant.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    So, did it do anything at all on non EPS12v compliant boards?