Laptop Stalls at Windows Welcome Screen

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I have a laptop running windows XP home, when I turn it on, it gets to the welcome screen and then doesnt do anything else, any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I have a laptop running windows XP home, when I turn it on, it gets to the welcome screen and then doesnt do anything else, any help is greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you need to repair your OS. Try using the CDs that came from your manufacturer, if any, to repair Windows. Just put in a recovery disk, turn on the computer, and search for a repair option if you get one.

Just avoid anything that mentions formating a disk until you have backed up important data.

Anything out of the ordinary happen the last time you remember it working? Did you install any new software?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Good suggestions, Gravite2090. :cheers:

Heartbeateaj, you might try Safe Mode, too, if you haven't done that already. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006

Tap F8 rapidly when your computer is turning on. Select "Safe mode with networking." If you can get to a windows desktop there, please post back to this thread and we'll get you pointed in the right direction.
  • edited November 2006
    Anything out of the ordinary happen the last time you remember it working?...Did you install any new software?

No nothing out of the ordinary happened last time I was using it, I just went to turn it on the other day and it stalled at the welcome screen.Thanks again!

I cant find my disks, I think they got lost in a recent move.

How can I transfer some of the files off that laptop and onto another laptop/ or desktop? Does the malfunctioning laptop have to be working correctly before data transfer? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!
    edited November 2006
    Transferring data off a laptop is a pain if it won't boot. Before we delve into all of that, try the Safe Mode suggestion. :)
  • edited November 2006
    what after safe mode?
    edited November 2006
    <b>SHAMELESS PLUG!</b>

Start: <b>HERE</b>
  • edited November 2006
    will not boot into safe mode with or without networking
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Well until you get a Windows CD you aren't going to be able to do much as far as an OS repair. You can order recovery discs from the manufacturer for the cost of shipping I believe if you get in touch with them.

Otherwise to get the data off in the mean time, you have plenty of options...but none of these are easy to do.

First is to get something like Knoppix linux where you can boot in to an OS off of a CD. Next is to use a external hard drive and copy over everything you think is important.

Remember, you are not going to be able to keep your programs if you reinstall Windows. You will need to reinstall programs with your CDs also, that is if you reinstall Windows.

So try to backup things like documents, pictures, movies, etc.

Something that would help right now is a boot CD known as Hiren's boot cd, but you have to get that off a torrent site most likely, and it requires a good amount of nerd skill to use....

If I were you I would just do this. Get an external hard drive enclosure and take the hard drive out of your computer. Then put it in the external. Hook the external up to whatever computer you are using now, and get all the data you need.

Once you have your data you will have no problem getting a WinXP Home cd if you ask enough friends to borrow one. Then you can reformat and reinstall windows, and all problems will dissipate in to released energy and radiate through the universe as background noise to be forgotten.

Just make sure you get an external enclosure for small hard drives if you have a laptop.
  • edited November 2006
    I bummed an Xp home CD from a pal at work today, I am going to run the recovery console first and see if that helps
  • edited November 2006
    It is not accepting the product key located on the bottom of the laptop? is this because the disk is not the one that came with this computer?
    I also got an "Installation failed" notification during installation, during the installing windows step
    edited November 2006
    It's probably due to the key being an OEM version and the disc being an upgrade or full version. You should be able to use the CD you borrowed to get the Recovery Console going, though.

You can do all sorts of things then.

I'd start with Chkdsk.
  • edited November 2006
    chkdsk found an error, and I did chkdsk/r to repair, it repaired, but still no luck getting into windows, still stalling at welcome screen.

Fixmbr next?
    edited November 2006
    chkdsk found an error, and I did chkdsk/r to repair, it repaired, but still no luck getting into windows, still stalling at welcome screen.

Fixmbr next?
    You could. :)

It might not hurt to run the test from the hard drive manufacturer. An error found by chkdsk could mean physical problems with the drive.
  • edited November 2006
    how do i run the hard drive manufacturers test?
    edited November 2006
    You get it from the manufacturers website. It is burned to a bootable floppy or cdrom and you go from there. :)
  • edited November 2006
    will run mfrs. test first, then fixmbr if good
    chkdsk /r running now, very slow, going on 1 hour
    edited November 2006
    Good luck, man. :)
  • edited November 2006
    I did the repair installation option with the OS disk, got an installation failed message, any ideas?
    edited November 2006
    Did chkdsk get all the way through? Did you run the HD test (Quick and Full)?

The fact that chkdsk was taking so long on a (probably smallish) laptop drive indicates that the drive is having serious problems. If you're lucky, it's a software problem and can be sorted out. If not, the drive is on the way out.

Run the manufacturers test first; there's no sense in running around in circles trying to fix a dying drive. If it passes both tests we'll move on to something else. :wave:
  • edited November 2006
    Hitachi drive fitness tests came out with no errors, chkdsk went through, but really slow, so you believe it may be software related? I really appreciate your help with this.
    edited November 2006
    This is software-related.
  • edited November 2006
    any ideas as to what software may causing the problem?
  • edited November 2006
    Nah, if the OS is still installed, all you have to do is go into the recovery console and type in fixboot. I had the same thing happen to me once and fixboot solved all my problems. Fixmbr is only used if your NTLDR is damaged or you have a problem like that.
  • edited November 2006
    ok so now when starting up the laptop, still gives me an invalid product key message, and an installation failed message, how can I go about resolving these issues? thanks again!
    edited November 2006
    Call the Microsoft 800 number and ask them what's up. :)