Gears of War

CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Gaming
Alright, who has been waiting for this? It's a 360 title, so I'm going to assume only a few in this forum. I'd been following it a little bit, but I didn't really start getting excited about it until Monday. I watched a few videos and saw some gameplay and just thought it looked like a lot of fun.

The game looks spectacular, and plays very well. Check it out at Gamespot.

Emergence Day is this Sunday. There will be LIVE tournaments, free downloads, and a lot of giveaways.

Anyway, let's hear it. Good comments; bad comments. Let 'em fly!

Comments

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Alright, who has been waiting for this? It's a 360 title, so I'm going to assume only a few in this forum. I'd been following it a little bit, but I didn't really start getting excited about it until Monday. I watched a few videos and saw some gameplay and just thought it looked like a lot of fun.

The game looks spectacular, and plays very well. Check it out at Gamespot.

Emergence Day is this Sunday. There will be LIVE tournaments, free downloads, and a lot of giveaways.

Anyway, let's hear it. Good comments; bad comments. Let 'em fly!

Definitely considering it since my 360 has currently been relegated to paperweight/DVD player since I've only played two games on the darn thing. Looks pretty good though.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Spent about 3 hours playing it last night. It's a lot of fun. Their camera system is really good at keeping you in the action. The "cut-scenes" are pretty cool too. They stay with the in-game engine, so it reduces any switching load times.

Speaking of which, the load times are actually really decent for the level of detail in the game. I'm impressed.

One thing that bothered me at first was the gear symbol that appeared in the middle of the screen to show your level of damage. At first it felt like it got in the way. Now that I'm used to it, it's actually a good place to put it. It would be difficult to take your eyes off the action for even a small amount of time to check your health. You're constantly going.

The active reload system is a small but very cool addition. When you hit the right bumper to reload, a bar runs along the top right showing how long it takes to reload. There's a small white area toward the beginning of the line. If you click the bumper again in that area, you'll instantly reload your weapon and get a damage boost to the next few rounds based upon how accurately you hit the area.

This game is definitely not "just run in and mow-down everything you see!" You have to use the cover, and they do a great job with it. Most cover maneuvers are activated with just the 'A' button. You want to put your back against that wall? Get close to it and hit 'A.' Want to dive out of cover to the left, press left on the thumb stick and hit 'A.' Move from cover to cover? You get the idea.

If you try to just fight without using cover, you'll be taken down in a matter of seconds. Trust me, I tried. Hah. There's a little bit of strategy involved too. You have to determine who to take out first and what path you want to take to get there. There have been a couple sections that I had to reload from checkpoint more than 7 times. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty, by the way.

There's a lot more I could touch on, but I'll leave you with that. If you have a 360, at least rent this game. I'd say it's well worth the purchase though. I can't wait to try the multiplayer.
  • edited November 2006
    Looks really sweet, I'm hoping to get it for christmas, by the way, how you tried multiplayer, splitscreen and xbox live yet? I know your supposed to be able to play Co-op over live, which is cool as I would like to do that on Halo 2.
    edited November 2006
    I have not tried the multiplayer yet. I was going to last night, but I never got the opportunity. I'll probably be trying it this evening. I'll let you know how it is.

And as for options, I noticed everything you spoke up. Co-op is probably one of the coolest features any game could have, in my opinion. It's fun to play deathmatch against your buddies. But it's more fun to strategize with them.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I LOVE co-op but I'm always pissed at the amount of games that don't offer the option. I'm heading over to my buddies house this week and he has it so I'm gonna give it a go.
    edited November 2006
    Finished the main story mode on "casual" today. That was a lot of fun. I started over on hardcore. It's definitely harder. It makes you follow "stop and pop" much more.

I played online today as well too. The rounds go really quickly, but it was enjoyable.

Good game. :)
  • DeanoDeano Leicestershire, England
    edited November 2006
    I have this game. i'm only on the fourth part, after the "fish in a barrel"section, but it is really really good. I'm loving it. I haven't tried playing the multiplayer yet, but definately will be doing soon.

As with you, the cog in the centre got annoying, but once you've got used to it its great because you can see how much damage and from which direction its coming from.

I really like this game, definately gonna keep it until i've done it on hardcore and insane. :D
  • edited November 2006
    Hey I borrowed this game from a friend just for a day today, man is it awesome, I like how you have to take cover unlike in the halos, but it isnt completely purely tactics. Played some exection type games online, great fun, and I know this probully sounds bad, but I think it is cool to chainsaw people. Only complaints so far have been that the chainsaw cant be suyed if your damaged at all, but I understand that would make it way to good if you could always use it. That and the lag I have because my connection stinks.