DVD+-RW Problem

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I have an NEC ND-3530A drive, and it did work fine, but now it doesn't recognize media. If I put a disc into the drive, the light goes on, it spins and the cursor gets a little CD next to it. After a while, this all stops, and if you try to access the drive, it says there's no CD inserted. The only thing it does recognize is a DVD-R, and it also has no problem writing to the DVD-R.

Comments

• CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited November 2006
    Could be that your drive is dying.

I had a similar problem where my Liteon1653S which got really picky and would only burn the most expensive media in the end.
    A new drive fixed it.

Perhaps you could try one of the proprietry cleaners?

Try some different media?
  • edited November 2006
    Crypto wrote:
    Could be that your drive is dying.

I had a similar problem where my Liteon1653S which got really picky and would only burn the most expensive media in the end.
    A new drive fixed it.

I had it for about 3 months before this happened, I think it would have a longer lifespan.
    Perhaps you could try one of the proprietry cleaners?
    Not sure what that means
    Try some different media?
    I've tried audio CD, CD-ROM, DVD, CD-R, CD-RW but the only thing it sees is a DVD-R.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    1. Lemons happen. You may have received one.
    2. He means you may have a dirty LASER lens in the drive: Find a CD lens cleaner kit at any electronics store.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited November 2006
    your symptoms are exactly the same as another drive of mine that died

it wouldnt read or write anything but dvd

i tried everything i could think of but in the end a new drive solved all problems

my drive was an NEC ND2500A

if you have only had it a short while then i would suggest you get yourself a replacement

did you buy it seperately or did it come with the comp?
  • edited November 2006
    It came with the computer. It's about a year old, but the drive lasted for about three months like I said.
    edited November 2006
    to be honest mate im almost certain its the same problem i had. treat yourself to a new one
  • edited November 2006
    I'm trying to make a backup of a movie DVD and most of them are giving me a message of error of encription or cyclic redundancy. Can this be fixed of any way so that I can complete the backup?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    rafyman wrote:
    I'm trying to make a backup of a movie DVD and most of them are giving me a message of error of encription or cyclic redundancy. Can this be fixed of any way so that I can complete the backup?

If it's a retail DVD, the DMCA (Unfortunately) prevents you from making a backup of a DVD you bought and you own. It's illegal to make copies of DVDs now, even if it's a copy for yourself.
    edited November 2006
    you should also start a new thread of your own

ppl dont take kindly to having their thread hijacked