Project Lumberjack

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
Brief:

In order to better track and maintain the SMX Project, I propose we setup a syslog server that will keep an eye on each SMX machine.

Goals:

A server that will run a syslog daemon and filter information to a database. The server, or different server, will run a website displaying the status of the SMX machines individually.

Standardized (for our purposes) and freeware syslog software that can be customized to analyze the F@H logs and submit them to said syslog server. A different logging client will be needed for Windows/Linux/BSD or whatever OS the SMX host is running.

Documentation of how to setup the logging software for each OS and F@H version should also be created for SMX hosts.

Resources Needed:

A server: We can hopefully get enough parts together for a server to log and host a website. I can donate a hard drive and memory to get this going. Will not need to be a high end machine.

A server host: Prime? :)

Research: We need members of Team 93 who have experience with syslog to reccomend clients and daemons, and test them with F@H.

Scripters: We need members of Team 93 who can script and/or configure the server to throw necessary log information from the daemon in to a database.

Web nerds: We need memebrs of Team 93 who can create a website that will output this database in a nice presentable fashion, and also setup a script so that if one machine is down the host is immedietely emailed.

Thats about it. Thats my quick and dirty proposal.
log.gif 18.5K

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The mostest awesome thing about this project

is for sure:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21683&d=1163126237

That is the mostest awesomest.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Agreed. I was leary at first but the logo sold me!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Vote SMx 'Jack, '08.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    From the "somebody's got to do it" department:

Oh, I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK
    I Fold all night and I Fold all day

I swing my axe, I cut down WU's, I like to crunch the cogs
    Now thanks to our man Gravite, my points will all be logged!

:woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo:
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    From the "somebody's got to do it" department:

Oh, I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK
    I Fold all night and I Fold all day

I swing my axe, I cut down WU's, I like to crunch the cogs
    Now thanks to our man Gravite, my points will all be logged!

:woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo:

I fold a lot of proteins, just like my dear papa! ... Sorry.

So Prime would you be interested in hosting a syslog server? Already have one? If you want to host one, what OS would you use? I vote for some form of BSD. Thoughts?

We can't do a whole lot to get this rolling until we know who would host the server, what OS it would run, etc.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Would it be easier to pull WU completion data from stanford, like EOC does, and just display the info:

WHERE "team" IS "93" AND "username" is listed in table "SMX boxes" DISPLAY STATS

IF "lateststats" is older than 7 days, email "SMX box owner"

IF "lateststats is older than 14 days, email "SMX manager"

that kinda thing...?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    As long as your slogan is "It's Time To Get Logging" Than I am all for any idea... :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2006
    As long as your slogan is "It's Time To Get a FLogging" Than I am all for any idea... :)

I need to read slower. This is what i thought you said.;D;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    dragonV8 wrote:
    I need to read slower. This is what i thought you said.;D;D
    Why do you think the site's called S-M?... :range:
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Well until Prime decides if he can host a syslog server or not, I will set one up and start testing it with my own folder(s) during the next three weeks. Once I have what I believe is a good OS and daemon for the project I will repost with recommendations.

The reason I do not want to just use standard stat logs is because I want to create a website that displays the status of a box during the last few hours, not the last few days. The accuracy of big brother is important when it comes to SMX!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I can probably do anything other than host the server. I'm not great at any of the things that are listed as needed, but I don't think it'd be a problem to work on them. I'm running a linux folding box and a windows box, so I could test some of the stuff for either os.