Crashes while playing games.

edited November 2006 in Hardware
Does anyone else have crashes while playing games like eq2? I get a dx out of memory error or a bsod saying thread stuck in device. any information on how to resolve these issues would be great. its really ticking me off the game is constantly crashing

Comments

• deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited November 2006
    Byrds6 wrote:
    Does anyone else have crashes while playing games like eq2? I get a dx out of memory error or a bsod saying thread stuck in device. any information on how to resolve these issues would be great. its really ticking me off the game is constantly crashing

What graphics card do you have? I've seen a lot of these problems occur with Nvidia 6600GT cards, especially early models. Give us some more information:

Graphics card make / model
    motherboard make / model
    processor
    memory
    Graphics card driver version.

what games does this happen on? All of them? Does it happen after a set period of time playing a game? At the same point every time? The more info you give, the easier it is to figure out what's going on.
  • edited November 2006
    Also your PSU brand and wattage rating.
  • edited November 2006
    Its a laptop so I am not sure the power supply but it has the nvidia 7600go with 512megs of ram for a vid card.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited November 2006
    What version of the Nvidia drivers are you using? Try updating them. That's not just a 'try it and see' answer by the way, some versions of the Nvidia drivers when used with some cards cause this error to happen, the driver gets stuck in an infinite loop.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    EQ is by far one of the most Drive and Graphical intensive games via MMORPG. My buddy has problems with his Dell XPS desktop in certain areas where the game will just crash, typically due to EQ's servers causing the game to crash, you might just be having that problem...

If the above isn't the case, the question I have is how hot is your system running? CPU temp? GPU temp? As EQ is a very hardware intensive program your components could be getting a bit to hot, causing the game to crash...
  • edited November 2006
    Ive tried many different versions of the drivers, all with the same result. Ive used HPs stock drivers as well as drivers from laptopvideo2go. Nothing seems to cure either error. The DX out of memory error happens or the thred stuck in device happens.

As for the temps of the machine from what I have read and asked other places its pretty normal. 60-64c under load of EQ for the cores and 70-74c for the GPU under the same load. I know it sounds horrible but from what I have gathered its pretty normal especially for a laptop. Even looked on Nvidia's site and they have stated as long as it doesnt go red under a load its good. The CPU cores are rated up to 100c.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The GPU core is rated for 115c

What about the section of the game? does it happen in a certain place? or just randomly?
  • edited November 2006
    Completely random. It could happen in 15min or it could be days before it crashes. But there isnt any certian spot. Yeah I know the GPU is rated for 110c least thats my slowdown threshold. I was saying the CPU was rated for 100c according to intels specs.