Here's how you can help me fold more for Team #93.

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
I just got a 4 port KVM switch off of eBay for $28, and I like it already. It's SO much nicer to press a button than to have to get down on the floor, swap the mouse, monitor, and video cables from one computer to the other, then repeat this every time I want to see what the other is doing.

I'm off topic already.

So I've got 2 free ports in this KVM switch, and I'm going to buy another cheap Dynex ethernet router from eBay, so my home setup can support 2 more PC's for folding easily. I just moved to a different apartment and no longer have to pay the electric company for hot water and heat, so I've got a few extra bucks for powering the PCs, more or less.

I see lots of posts here screaming for getting more computers folding for Team 93. I can take 2 more.

But building computers costs money, something which I never seem to have an excess of.:grr: PLUS I'm building a new engine for one of my cars, PLUS I'm trying to save money so I can move away from here in a couple months, etc.

So if anyone wants to donate some PC parts (computer case included) or PayPal me a few bucks (my paypal address is loudmouthtim@hotmail.com), I'd be happy to add 1 or 2 more systems here.

That's what I can do to help out. Who wants to help me help Team 93?

Comments

• CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited November 2006
    Hey Tim, great news that you've got spare capacity for more folding rigs.

As for cobbling together parts for a new rig would it not be simpler to throw your hat in the ring next time a SMX rig comes up for hosting?

cheers mate. :vimp:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    sounds like a host canidate to me.
    Send that boy a box!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I know I'm going off topic here, Tim, but you got me going... which car, and what engine?
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    If you'll pay for shipping, I've got 2 ATX cases for you. (actually, I have many...like 30-50...

I might even be able to install a used CD-ROM and small used HD in each one before I ship it...

I'm in Addison, IL - 60101
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Ghoosdum - I'm building a new 6G72 3.0 V-6 engine to replace the one in my '93 Dodge Shadow ES. The old one smokes and needs fixed.

Crypto & edcentric - I thought about applying for the SMx computers, but I want a system that will be MINE, and will fold under my user name for Team 93.

the_technocrat - I certainly would like to get 2 ATX cases from you, especially with CD-ROMs and small hard drives in them. I'll PM you here and give you my email address.

Thanks for the offers so far!:leet:
    edited November 2006
    It's been a few days, haven't heard back from technocrat yet about getting those 2 ATX cases. I had sent him a PM a couple days ago....:nudge:
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Tim wrote:
    It's been a few days, haven't heard back from technocrat yet about getting those 2 ATX cases. I had sent him a PM a couple days ago....:nudge:

I'm going to that campus today - it's been a busy few days. I have grad classes tues-thurs. I was tallying up the last three days (tues-thurs) and came up with a total of 8 hours sleep, 3 meals eaten, 26 hours work, 6 hours class and 8 hours homework....

sorry, just been a little busy. I do have a special trip over to my "dump" on the schedule today, just to go get your boxes, install HD's and CD-ROM's, and ship...
    edited November 2006
    Okay, thanks for the update. I bought some computer parts on eBay today to fill up one of those cases. A Tyan 2462 Dual CPU AMD Athlon motherboard, twin Athlon MP1600 CPUs, 2 Thermaltake CPU coolers, and 512 MB of RAM, all for $150 including shipping.:thumbsup:

The guy wanted more for it, but he had included the Make Offer option, so I put in $130.05 to make it an even $150 with shipping, and he took the deal.

That ought to help with getting the work units done!

Now I have to get another system to put in the second case......