Graphics card upgrade

edited November 2006 in Hardware
Will I be able to get a new graphics card when I have an ABIT AN7 Socket A motherboard and an AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.2GHZ processer?

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    Yup,

What have you got now? Wha are you looking to get?
  • edited November 2006
    Well,I'd like to get a good SLI graphics card from NVIDIA but I'd need a new motherboard and then I'd need a good processer (probbaly AMD) but I don't want it to be too expensive. I want it to be good at multi-tasking and great for playing the latest games and able to run Windows Vista. Does vista ultimate need a tv tuner card to run?
  • edited November 2006
    which graphics card do you think to be a very good one becuase I have one but i think it very old and i was wondering if anybody knew
  • lewicronlewicron Glasgow
    edited November 2006
    Well,I'd like to get a good SLI graphics card from NVIDIA but I'd need a new motherboard and then I'd need a good processer (probbaly AMD) but I don't want it to be too expensive. I want it to be good at multi-tasking and great for playing the latest games and able to run Windows Vista. Does vista ultimate need a tv tuner card to run?

If you're buying a new processor, don't buy AMD right now - intel Core 2 duo chips are faster, more energy efficient, by all accounts much more overclockable (if you're interested in overclocking) and give much more bang for buck.

Regarding video cards, nVidia's latest - the 8800gtx - owns everything right now, but is expensive because it is so new and supports the latest graphics technology. It also draws a lot of power. If you wanted to run 2 of them in SLI, you'd need a very chunky power supply - 700watts may be an underestimate, 800watts is not unfeasable. Others wil be able to give you a more accurate estimate than me. If you don't want to haemorrhage distressing amounts of cash, then you will probably be able to get a good deal on a 7xxx series card right now, as these are going to phased out of production pretty shortly (i don't know about actual prices though - you'll have to check).