Computer Restarts itself about a minute or two after windows loads

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I have an Acer Aspire and just recently bought a new modem because I had been having internet connection problems. I thought it was caused by the old modem failing, but the new modem doesn't work much better, and now I can't even do anything with my computer because it constantly restarts itself after windows loads, its a reletively new computer. I am not sure if its a virus or what, and I dont' know how to load Windows XP in safe mode.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    To enter Safe Mode, hit the F8 key before Windows starts to load.

Once you get there, uninstall the new modem and makes sure all traces of the old one have been removed as well.

From the description of your problem, it would be a good idea to post a HijackThis log; you may have something rotten going on behind your back.
  • edited November 2006
    alright I'll try that and see what happens, since I'm useing the computer at school, it will likely be Monday again before I can post here again if this doesn't work. If it does work by uninstalling the two modems or if my computer still won't work even in safe mode, what should I do?
    edited November 2006
    The reason I mention the modems is that if the old one was a software-based device it could still be trying to load drivers for it, causing a conflict with the new one. Getting rid of both and starting from scratch would eliminate that problem.

Spontaneous reboots can be caused by many things, including bad RAM, a failing PSU, etc. If the modem idea doesn't sort things out, I'd try a few passes of Memtest-86. If you are getting an error message or BSOD, write it down and post it here. (You may need to disable the Automatically Restart... feature.)

Good luck. :)
  • edited November 2006
    alright thanks, I'll try some things out this weekend and then post again if I have any other problems or questions
  • edited November 2006
    I ran into a computer that had a rebooting problem, it would do it randomly. Like before or after it got into Windoze. I found the problem was due to heat, had to blow it out. Something to try.
  • edited November 2006
    fety wrote:
    I ran into a computer that had a rebooting problem, it would do it randomly. Like before or after it got into Windoze. I found the problem was due to heat, had to blow it out. Something to try.

Really? Hmm..I didn't think that heat could affect a computer that much, though it kinda makes sense I guess. But yea I got my computer working, turns out it was a problem with the old modem, I took it out and eradicated any sign of the old modem and now it works alright, I'm having it looked at for a problem with my dial-up connection right now though, it's been very slow lately and doesn't want to connect.

Anyhow, thank you profdlp for your help, it was a big help.
    edited November 2006
    Glad you got it going and good luck with your Internet connection. :)
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah weird things can cause problems, I ran into a computer that would randomly freeze, turned out it was because the cdrom was just about dead. Disconnected it and everything was fine.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Jackulwulf wrote:
    ...I didn't think that heat could affect a computer that much...
    On the contrary Jackulwulf. Computers are incredibly sensitive to heat (and to power anomalies, BTW). It is very important that they are cooled sufficiently or damage to your hardware can occur (very quickly). Therefore, keeping your fans running properly (and replacing failed fans right away) and vents, etc. unobstructed and free of dust and dirt is very important to the well-being of your computer.

There is some very good advice HERE re: the proper care of your computer.