Computer will not power up

TimberlineTimberline Canaan Valley, WV
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I'm trying to help an elderly friend. She has an HP Pavillion 511W. She apparently had some kind of virus problem that caused her to ultimately reset back to the original state in which the PC came. She shut it down and was then going to try to get up to speed by first reinstalling McAfee.

However, the computer will no longer power up. When you plug it in the green led next to the power cord socket will flash once, but nothing happens.

I believe it may be a power supply problem, but wanted to check if there is anything else I should look at or try first. Thank you.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    It's probably the PSU. Older HPs have PSUs that die about 2-3 years out, almost universally. Might try resetting the CMOS on the PC, and reseating the memory before springing for a new supply.
  • TimberlineTimberline Canaan Valley, WV
    edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    It's probably the PSU. Older HPs have PSUs that die about 2-3 years out, almost universally. Might try resetting the CMOS on the PC, and reseating the memory before springing for a new supply.

Thanks. Will try that, but I suspect a new power supply is on the horizon.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Great suggestion. If you can borrow a PSU to try you find out before getting the checkbook out. :)