CPU choices, E6600 vs Xeon 3060

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Hardware
Both Conroe based, the Xeon is 4mb cache (2mb per core), 2.4GHz, 65nm while the E6600 appears to have the exact same specs.
I'm not sure which to get, the cost difference is only $40 CDN, so it's not a big deal. I can't however find a lot of info about it, other than they're both socket 775. Can I use the xeon with a regular asus p5b motherboard (P965 chipset)?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The socket 775 xeons are conroes. There's nothing different. Not even steppings.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Could the Xeons be binned as more reliable chips? Possibly better OCers? Pure speculation?
    edited November 2006
    Pure speculation.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    so it's 40 bucks for the same cpu with a different name?
    edited November 2006
    That's correct.
    edited November 2006
    I guess the ability to run SMP would count as a difference, but if that's it, I'll stick with the e6600.

Thanks for the info Thrax and Gargoyle.
    edited November 2006
    The Socket 775 Xeons can't run in SMP.
    edited November 2006
    Only the 5xxx series that can run smp?
    edited November 2006
    5xxx (2P) and 7xxx (2/4/8P).
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    So it's just a rebadged Conroe with no additional functionality at all? Come on Intel, that's why nobody buys Mercurys.

Oh well, unlike the Mercurys, people will buy the Xeons. I know, I'm the user of a single-processor Xeon system at work. It runs great, just not any better than a Pentium.
    edited November 2006
    Branding is everything. The blind sheep mentality exhibited towards Xeons by corporate IT was a major obstacle the Opteron had to break through, despite being a many-times-over superior product.
  • edited November 2006
    So there is no performance difference between the two processors? What is SMP exactly and what does it mean for me?
    edited November 2006
    There are no performance differences between the E6xxx in the Core 2 Duo line, and the 30x0 models in the Xeon line because they are the same CPUs with different names, targeted at different markets (As stated earlier). However, Xeons in the 51xx series can run two processors at once, giving the system a total of four processing cores in two physical CPUs - this is known as (S)ymmetric (M)ulti (P)rocessing. Processors that have multiple cores on one physical CPU exercise something known as (C)hip-level (M)ulti (P)rocessing.

SMP, pretty much for servers only these days (There was a brief period where there were affordable SMP computers for the enthusiast with modified Athlon XPs), allows greater CPU horsepower as you can have more cores than a single-CPU system. Intel's <i>Woodcrest</i> chips in the 51xx line, while being Core 2 Duos at heart, have more L2 cache and can run in SMP to provide 4 cores instead of just two like the Core 2 Duo is limited to. The <i>Clovertown</i> in Intel's X53## series permits two CPUs with <i>four</i> cores for a maximum of eight processing pipelines.

For you, me, the end user, SMP is almost totally irrelevant thanks to CMP.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2006
    Quick thread jack here Thrax, reading your last on SMP and CMP which is the one being used for the Folding SMP ? ie can you run the stanford SMP client on a CMP setup?:confused2
  • edited November 2006
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    Quick thread jack here Thrax, reading your last on SMP and CMP which is the one being used for the Folding SMP ? ie can you run the stanford SMP client on a CMP setup?:confused2

I'll answer you for Thrax. You can run the beta SMP F@H client on a dual core system, but only under the 64 bit Linux installation. And it's actually optimized for a dual proc, dual core setup (Mac Pro). And you have to ask to be added to the beta section at the Folding Community forums to participate (AFAIK). It will only run on OSX x86 and X64 Linux for now. They are working on getting a 32 bit Linux client working and much later, a Windows version too. But the Windows version is way off in the future.
    edited November 2006
    just placed the order, my E6600 is on the way.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    I'll answer you for Thrax. You can run the beta SMP F@H client on a dual core system, but only under the 64 bit Linux installation. And it's actually optimized for a dual proc, dual core setup (Mac Pro). And you have to ask to be added to the beta section at the Folding Community forums to participate (AFAIK). It will only run on OSX x86 and X64 Linux for now. They are working on getting a 32 bit Linux client working and much later, a Windows version too. But the Windows version is way off in the future.
    Already on the beta team MD.:thumbsup::vimp: thanks for the info might give it a go when the redundancy check is given out.:D