overcoming the 2TB limitation

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I was thinking about building a dedicated box as a file server for my home network. I can see myself using well over 2 TB of storage. The main purpose of this box will be just to store system backups, along with other misc files and pull up and watch dvds and tv shows that I record in HDTV quality.

I know something like this wont be cheap, and I was planning on building so this thing can last me several years down the road. I was planning on using RAID 5 in my setup. So I have a few questions in mind.

What OS would be best for the file server? Windows Server 2003? I was also thinking about building with 64-bit support and going with the 64-bit version of the OS.

Second, I read about two possible ways on how to get around the 2TB limitation. One was to create x amount of arrays 2TB in size (these arrays wont be in equal size unless the total amount of disk space can be evenly divided) and then in windows use a dynamic disk to span them into one volume. What kind of performance hit would this take on the raid system if any?

The other way was to use a GUID partition (GPT disk partitioning) Could anyone elaborate on which way would be more feasible?

Also If I create a volume >2TB in size would my other computers in the network recognize it? (All are running windows xp sp2 currently) Or would it be truncated at 2TB?

And finally what about windows vista? Does anyone know what kind of volume size limitations there will be in this version of windows?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Or you could run a MythTV HTPC box and have no size limitation.
  • edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Or you could run a MythTV HTPC box and have no size limitation.
    Right I plan on also building another dedicated box for a pvr or HTPC system but I fail to see how that would eliminate the 2 TB size limitation. I would like to have a central area where I can save everything I record and access it on my entire network.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    It stands to reason that your HTPC box could serve as the central hub. It could pose as a file server, your HTPC needs, etcetera. Why make two computers when one would suffice?