Dell computer problem

edited February 2007 in Hardware
My Dell Desktop Computer will not work. i press the On button and it lights up in orange (hibernation colour) and flashes and beeps every second or so, it will not start up, nothing even appears on the monitor, it does not even connect with the monitor. I took the side off to take a look. i know there is power to it as the fan spins, but on the corner of the motherboard there is an ornage light that keeps flashing. i have no idea what the problem is, has my computer burnt out. ive only had it a year and a half.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Try resetting the BIOS by unplugging the computer, removing the CMOS battery, then moving the CMOS jumper to the Clear position. Wait fifteen minutes, reverse the process, then see if it works.

My first guess is that the Power Supply Unit has gone bad, but you'll want to check out the basics before buying a new one. You should also check to see if the machine has any life left in the warranty before doing anything drastic.

Also, many Dell machines use a proprietary PSU, meaning that a standard off-the-shelf replacement may not work - and could seriously damage the rest of the computer. Be very careful to get the right type for your machine, should it come to that. :)
  • edited November 2006
    i kept having windows32 file errors or something (trying to remember) alot before this, after i installed some software to upload photos from phone. Could that be causing the problem also? i know dells are not the best lol. my warrnety was only 4 a year. unfortunatly been a skint student i cant afford to replace it. so using the uni comps.
  • edited November 2006
    On the back there are some status lights that tell you what's going on. Look up those on Dell's site or just Google them. and if it's doing audible beeps it might tell you what's going on too. I'd say the power supply is half burned out.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    some advice, first, if its a psu problem may i ask if you're using a proper surge supressor unit? on top of that, i'd run some sort of memtest utility to determine if your memory has errors.
  • edited December 2006
    I want to throw my dell computer out the window... First I purchased this computer back in 04... stored it and never had it up and running until maybe 1 month ago... the hard drive crashed... called dell to purchase another one and was quoted 3 different prices. was frustrated and went to best buy and got it for much less and now i can't connect to the internet. Called dell again for the passed 4 days and spent about 20 hours on the phone with them for them to tell me today that i need to download drivers from their website... however on the website it doesn't specifically say what i need... can anyone help me get connected or if not recommend a brand for a new computer?
    edited December 2006
    marki03 wrote:
    I want to throw my dell computer out the window... First I purchased this computer back in 04... stored it and never had it up and running until maybe 1 month ago... the hard drive crashed... called dell to purchase another one and was quoted 3 different prices. was frustrated and went to best buy and got it for much less and now i can't connect to the internet. Called dell again for the passed 4 days and spent about 20 hours on the phone with them for them to tell me today that i need to download drivers from their website... however on the website it doesn't specifically say what i need... can anyone help me get connected or if not recommend a brand for a new computer?

sure i'll find the link for you. just tell me the exact model number of your dell desktop pc.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Is it still beeping in a rhythmic pattern, approximately every second?
  • edited December 2006
    isiea wrote:
    sure i'll find the link for you. just tell me the exact model number of your dell desktop pc.
    thanks... it's a dimension 4700
    edited December 2006
  • edited December 2006
    edited December 2006
    marki03 wrote:
    It's the 4700 is what i have

its the network drivers. if you need them get some sort of media (preferably a flash drive) from a working computer download the driver and pop it and put it on the dell.
  • edited December 2006
    isiea wrote:
    its the network drivers. if you need them get some sort of media (preferably a flash drive) from a working computer download the driver and pop it and put it on the dell.
    thanks a bunch.. i will try it...
  • edited February 2007
    Thrax wrote: »
    Is it still beeping in a rhythmic pattern, approximately every second?

Yeah about every second and flashing, i pressume its burned out, unless its a worse problem?
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    marki03 wrote: »
    It's the 4700 is what i have
    Hello marki03.

The model no. can get you in the ball park for info. on your Dell computer. However, a given production model of computers will vary widely in their configurations based on what the users ordered. Your computer's Service Tag no. can lead you to more specific information about your particular Dell Dimension 4700 including what NIC is installed if any or if the NIC is integrated (built into the motherboard). Look on the back of the computer for your Service Tag number.

Once you have located the Service Tag number, go HERE and enter in the Service Tag no. on the left (rather than selecting the model no. on the right). There you will find your particular computer's hardware specs., driver downloads, etc.

You should have gotten a CD from Dell w/ your purchase that included the drivers and a driver utility that can query your system to find out what hardware is installed. If you can find that, you might want to give that a go as well.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    bob123 wrote: »
    Yeah about every second and flashing, i pressume its burned out, unless its a worse problem?
    Hello Bob123. Welcome to Short Media!

I agree w/ everyone, it sounds like your PSU has failed. The problems you were experiencing b4 your computer failed could have been caused by a failing PSU.

However, did you try Profdlp's recommendation 1st (post # 2)? You might want to do that just to be sure b4 you lay out $ for a new PSU.

If what Profdlp suggested does not resolve the problem, then, as he pointed out, it is most likely your PSU that has failed. Fortunately, PSUs are relatively inexpensive (compared to some other higher cost components in your computer).

It's possible a standard form factor PSU will work for your Dell computer. I've installed off-the-shelf (standard form-factor) PSUs in Dell Dimension computers in the past. However, whether this is possible w/ your particular computer will depend upon your computer's form-factor and, in particular, your PSU's form factor. If it is a proprietary (non-standard) form factor, then you will need to replace the PSU w/ one from Dell or a source that has PSUs for Dell computers.

Please, refer back to post # 15 re: finding your Dell Service Tag no.

Then, post back here w/ your computer's model no. (e.g. Dimension 4700) and it's Service Tag no.

We'll be able to find more info. about that particular computer (including its PSU) w/ that information.