Anyone Set UP an SMP Client Yet?

2»

Comments

• Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited December 2006
    Thats what I thought... I get that time per frame on my X2 3800 @ 2.5Ghz...

Suse disregards your BIOS settings when installed with power saving features... You might be running on default speeds.

The command I gave you should tell you exactly the current speed.

Good luck!
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    Yep, running at default :grr:, but will wait for the Protein to finish and turn off all the power saving features.

Edit: Changed back to XP, my Conroes ATM are doing ~2000PPD with the p1495/1499 tets.

Datsun 1600
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2007
    Good reason to bring this back up. Set up a dual tyan mobo with 2 x d/c opty's. Running Ubuntu 6.10 AMD64 ver.
    1440 points in 25 hrs = 1380/24hrs.(4 cores) :)

Set up my d/c opty 170 with VMWare & Ubuntu.(2 cores)
    1770 points in 29 hrs = 1460/24hrs

If i can do it, anyone can as i had never used Linux till now. Just need a guide and follow directions. We reckon it's worth it.:thumbsup:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Dragon, any catches to the VM route? I don't have time for nix, but VM sounds attactive.
    Of course I am cheap too, so we will have to see.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2007
    Ed, came across this thread whilst searching for Ubuntu guides and SMP. Worked a treat for me, except for 1 machine that still won't play the game, but that is another Tyan board with network issues.:(

I just followed the instructions and it worked first time using the free version of VMWare. Downloaded 10 registration numbers. Should see me right for a long time.:)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    Dragon, any catches to the VM route? I don't have time for nix, but VM sounds attactive.
    Of course I am cheap too, so we will have to see.

From what I've been reading around there isn't to much of a hit running VM except on the Pentium D series. For some reason they take a good size hit running VM vs native installs. I don't have links handy, but I've read this within the past few days.
  • edited March 2007
    There are two problems I noticed with VMware. First, FAH does not run peacefully in the background, since the process priority of VMware module is not low in Windows, although FAH has low priority in Linux. For example playing a game in Windows while running FAH inside VMware is not possible; I even felt that desktop applications in Windows were not as responsive. I tried decreasing the priority of VMware while SMP FAH was running and Linux kernel started giving strange error messages :eek: So I found that it was not a happy solution for a desktop computer. The second problem is just an annoyance: system time inside VMware was not working accurately. But this is no problem since it is slower not faster.
    edited March 2007
    Yeap, running VM on a Windows host is a pain in the *ss. I´ve switched my main rig to Linux also, until the windows smp client arrives.

BTW, a Linux running under VM will report wrong time staps. Dunno why.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2007
    I can't get it to work. I've followed the steps presented here, http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-SMP.html
    but when i get to ./fah5 -configonly it says file not found. While i've only been in ubuntu since yesterday i do know how to extract files and they are in the right folder.

I'm using ubuntu 7.04 beta a64. I'm gonna switch over to windows for the night but i might have overshot the deadline anyway. Had hoped to have moved the win wu to this installation but i must have it running first.
    edited April 2007
    Did you do the "chmod a+x ./fah5" command 1st?

Also check with "ls" that there is a file called fah5 in that directory.

You always have to execute it under root mode (or super user).
    edited April 2007
    chmod?? *I'm new to linux so please explain. I tried sudo, can't believe i didn't think of that, but nothing more other than the password prompt then no file found. The file is there.
    edited April 2007
    Noticed the extra instructions you refered to but nothing helped.
    edited April 2007
    This is what I did to make it work (notice that I am not a Linux expert).

1.- open up a terminal window (I am running Suse 10.1 x64 with KDE)
    2.- do "su" and enter password for root
    3.- do "mkdir fah" so it creates a "fah" folder under my current directory (you can make it anywhere you like), then do "cd fah"
    4.- do "wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz" so it downloads the client
    5.- once done, do "tar -xvf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz" to unpack all the contents into the "fah" dir
    6.- do "chmod a+x fah5" (not sure if it was "fah5" or "./fah5", try both just to make sure)
    7.- do "./fah5" to engage the 1st configuration set. Once complete the client works fine!

Hope it helps.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited April 2007
    Don't forget the (if I don't spell it right, oh well) ia32-libs.

Here's a link I found on the Folding forum,http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33880616

Looks like how I installed mine, just ignore the part about setting up VM.
    edited April 2007
    Thanks. I just search in synaptic and they are installing. I installed almost everything i found including java. Let's hope it helps.
    Just as i thought the client started on a new wu. It was on 54 percent before it did. :sad2:
    edited April 2007
    This is what I did to make it work (notice that I am not a Linux expert).

1.- open up a terminal window (I am running Suse 10.1 x64 with KDE)
    2.- do "su" and enter password for root
    3.- do "mkdir fah" so it creates a "fah" folder under my current directory (you can make it anywhere you like), then do "cd fah"
    4.- do "wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz" so it downloads the client
    5.- once done, do "tar -xvf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz" to unpack all the contents into the "fah" dir
    6.- do "chmod a+x fah5" (not sure if it was "fah5" or "./fah5", try both just to make sure)
    7.- do "./fah5" to engage the 1st configuration set. Once complete the client works fine!

Hope it helps.

That worked, thanks. BTW can i import my win wu or will that just make the client restart. I'll wait till i get an answer so i dont trash another wu. :rolleyes2

Edit
    Forgot to ask. If i close the terminal, will that close fah as well?

Double edit

How about advmethods, should that be on. I've heard about forceasm which i've enabled but what about adv. I haven't enabled that. i read this page http://fahwiki.net/index.php/The_FAH_client_on_Linux which hade lots of good info but nothing about how adv works on smp which are by default experimental. I'll leave it of.

Just my luck the official fahmon page is down as well so i can't get that to work either. :(
    edited April 2007
    Folding is working now. Just checked and it did turn of when i closed the console, prolly should have figured that. Luckly it can be snet to another desktop view. I found the system supervisor and saw that the cpu was hardly doing anything. Wish i'd thought of checking earlier, now i lost several hours of work.
    edited April 2007
    EyesOnly wrote:
    That worked, thanks. BTW can i import my win wu or will that just make the client restart. I'll wait till i get an answer so i dont trash another wu. :rolleyes2

Edit
    Forgot to ask. If i close the terminal, will that close fah as well?

Double edit

How about advmethods, should that be on. I've heard about forceasm which i've enabled but what about adv. I haven't enabled that. i read this page http://fahwiki.net/index.php/The_FAH_client_on_Linux which hade lots of good info but nothing about how adv works on smp which are by default experimental. I'll leave it of.

Just my luck the official fahmon page is down as well so i can't get that to work either. :(

No, windows WU are different than the Linux ones... And yes, if you close the terminal, it closes FAH, just like when you run on a Command box in Windows.

I usually run the client with the -forceasm and -verbosity 9 flags, advmethods is not needed now cause all the WUs are beta.

If your box is a dedicated folder, I may suggest you switch to "init 3" which is console mode, that way all cpu cycles go to the FAH client and nothing is wasted in GUI (init 5).

Happy folding! :bigggrin:
    edited April 2007
    Thanks för the info on the wu. I'll delete it next time i'm in windows. Even if i'll prolly need to use apps there i prolly wont be in it long enough for folding to matter so i'll remove it.

So no adv, good to know.

I have no idea as to how to change that init you mention but since my box isn't dedicated it doesn't matter. Thanks for the help. BTW is it normal to have a slightly less than 100% cpu usage. At the moment both cores swing between 80-100 usually being closer to 100.
    edited April 2007
    Totally normal... and even though its not stressing the CPU fully, you will be getting even more PPD than in Windows.
    edited April 2007
    How so?
    edited April 2007
    Linux is more efficient... maybe because the client is 64bit instead of 32bit in Windows... I think.
    edited April 2007
    Ok i see. Yeah having 64 should make it somewhat faster. Didn't think of that.