Help!computer reboots everytime i burn a disc

edited November 2006 in Hardware
Hi every1. I know this doesn't sound like much of an important request for help but it's driving me insane! I'm running an Athlon XP 2000+, 1GiGram,Nvidia fx 5600 on a gigabyte MOBO. Everything was running perfectly until last week when i installed a new printer. Since then, more or less everytime I burn a disc with nero, my system reboots and when it recovers, it tells me that its a driver problem. I can't seem to find the so called driver thats causing the problem, so the first thing i tried was removing the printer from the system altogether. I successfully burned around 5 or 6 discs and then i decided to reinstall the printer, and it started rebooting again, resulting in a huge pile of coasters! The thing that now makes me think that it may not be my printer is that i removed the printer again today, tried nero and still kept getting crashes.

Is there any way that i can diagnose this problem quickly, and what would be the best way to fix it? I've never really had any issues with my system until now.

Ive run virus scans, spyware etc, and also updated my software, but still no luck, please advise, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Like i said before, i know it dont look like an emergency but i need to get my sisters wedding movie onto disc for her before she goes back overseas at the weekend!

Comments

• jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
    edited November 2006
    Open your start menu, and right click My Computer. Click properties and go the the Hardware tab. Click device manager, and find the drive that's causing problems. Right click it, and click Uninstall.

Now, go online to the driver's manufacturer's website. Check their support section for new drivers that match the drive you own. Download them and restart your computer (don't install them yet). Once you're back into windows, the hardware installation dialog will pop up; cancel it. Run the install file you previously downloaded. In most situations, it'll install everything you need.

If something is missing or doesn't work, please let me know. This usually works for me, but sometimes the manufacturers are irresponsible and don't provide drivers and such.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Most of the drives on the market don't come with drivers, JH. They're handled through XP's native, universal SPTI interface+drivers.
  • edited November 2006
    ok, i tried what henry said, seems to be working so far. I have done 3 simulations on nero without a hitch, and i'm burning a disc for real right now.At 80 per cenr without a crash yet, but hey, early days eh?. The weird thing is though, when i first encountered this problem, i done a full reinstall of winxp and formatted my drives, and the problem still occurs. Windows crash analysis just says its a driver thats causing the fault. Going to reinstall my printer in a minute, so we will see if it crashes then.