Vista and Prime95..trouble !

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Science & Tech
windows or tweaking......I'll stick it in Windows. More of a Vista problem.

I was playing with my Vista box yesterday. And decided to up it's summertime OC from 2.4ghz back to its winter OC of 2.5ghz. made the changes in Bios rebooted and ran Prime95. It failed prime within a couple of seconds. So back to the bios, upped the voltage a little , back to prime, failed within a few seconds.
So after many different setting changes and slowly bring it back down , when I reached 2.4ghz ( where it has been running fine for the last 7 months ) and it still failed Prime I start to wonder.
Boot into XP
Ran Prime for 10 minutes no problem.
Slowly started going back up to 2.5ghz
Ran prime all night... no problem

I do not think Vista and Prime95 play well together. ( At least the torture test ) I think the overclocking crowd may have to find a new stress test for Vista.

I only wasted about 3 hours :rolleyes:

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Did you reboot before you tried to go up to 2.5 from 2.4 or did you just go there? I'm thinking maybe it needed the reboot first. I guess I'm just hoping Vista isn't quirky! ;D;D;D
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Did you reboot before you tried to go up to 2.5 from 2.4 or did you just go there? I'm thinking maybe it needed the reboot first.

?

Do you mean reboot twice ? As in make the changes reboot / desktop / reboot and then run prime. If so , then no. I just made the changes ( many times ) rebooted to Vista and ran prime. Just like I did in XP , which works fine.

Scott
    edited November 2006
    Yeah that's what I meant. And Vista still won't prime w/o errors at 2.5? Sounds like Vista won't OC like XP. Are you running beta Vista?
    edited November 2006
    Prime fails so fast I think it is problem with prime and vista. Not that the OC is unstable. When I first installed Vista several months ago I never ran prime. And it has been Folding all that time at 2.4ghz without errors. It will not run prime for more than a few seconds at the same 2.4ghz. But folds fine. Also it will run SuperPi without problems. Today I will try some other stress tests and see how they fair.

And yes it is a Beta RC2

Scott
    edited November 2006
    Are you trying to run prime as a stress tester only or are you trying to find micene primes? If stress only try ORTHOS beta and see what happens.
    edited November 2006
    No Primes...just stress testing.

I will give ORTHOS a try and let you know what happens. :thumbsup:

I ate to much.

Scott
    edited November 2006
    LOL ...me too! ORTHOS is magnificent. It allows you to stress the CPU with small FFTs using the prime95 engine. Or you can stress the RAM with large FFTs. OR you can blend stress both the CPU and RAM using the same engine.

What makes this an improvement over SP2004 is that now you can stress the CPU alternatively using the GROMACS core ...very handy if you're a folder.

Also ...if you run dual core it runs and monitors both cores automatically during the stress period. It's really a very nice stress tester and I always use if for an hour or two before I fold. I don't lose anymore work units this way!

Edit:\\A word of caution ...as with prime95 the mosfets do get extremely hot during the stress testing. Moreso than with the gromacs core.
    edited November 2006
    I think I am begining to see a trend here.

And just to make sure this was fair I returned the XP-M barton 2500+ to stock speeds 1.82 ghz 166 x 11 ( will run 200X12.5 prime stable in xp )

Ran Orthos with the "Blend tests" using the "Prime95" engine , failed in 37 seconds.
    currently running Orthos using the gromacs core...12 minutes in , so far so good.

I have another stress tester around here somewhere , I think it is called "CPU-Burn in" I will find it and give it a try.

Does anybody else have Vista installed ? Try running Prime and see what you get.

Scott
    edited November 2006
    scott wrote:
    Does anybody else have Vista installed ? Try running Prime and see what you get.
    Good idea.

Also ...what are your load/idle temps under Vista as compared to XP? Do you have a way to monitor the mosfet (PWM) temps?
    edited November 2006
    Temps are the same between both O.S.'s and they are fine. Machine is water cooled with a side mounted fan blowing over the board to cool the ram and mosfets.

Back to 2.5ghz

Ran SuperPi to 8m (14 min ) no errors
    Ran CPU-Burn in for 30 min. no errors
    Ran OCCT torture test 30 min no errors
    Ran ORTHOS "Gromacs test" 15 min no errors

Ran Prime95 Failed within 10 seconds
    Ran Orthos "Blend" using Prime95 engine failed in 14 seconds.
    edited November 2006
    scott wrote:
    Temps are the same between both O.S.'s and they are fine. Machine is water cooled with a side mounted fan blowing over the board to cool the ram and mosfets.

Back to 2.5ghz

Ran SuperPi to 8m (14 min ) no errors
    Ran CPU-Burn in for 30 min. no errors
    Ran OCCT torture test 30 min no errors
    Ran ORTHOS "Gromacs test" 15 min no errors

Ran Prime95 Failed within 10 seconds
    Ran Orthos "Blend" using Prime95 engine failed in 14 seconds.
    Put a fan directly on the mosfets and see if that helps. I just lowered my PWM temp by 25C ...no kidding. The failing tests can significantly increase your PWM temps.
    edited November 2006
    scott wrote:

Scott

Thrax

Do you still have Vista loaded on a machine ? Could you run Prime95 and see what happens ?

Scott
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    My PC is, unfortunately, not prime or orthos stable. Despite my computer's uptime being pegged at a couple weeks now, with video encoding, games, and sundry other intensive applications, the PC won't plough through heavy integer work.

I've not been bothered to troubleshoot it, sorry chaps.
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the fast reply Thrax !

Anybody else out there have Vista running on a know prime stable box ?

Scott