XBox 360 Three Red Flashing Lights

CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Gaming
Well, it was bound to happen, I suppose.

I just got home from Thanksgiving vacation at my parent's place, and I turn my XBox 360 on. It loads up the dashboard, and I start throwing together a playlist to listen to while I do some homework. I get the last album added just in time for the XBox to go to a black screen. I had just bumped the open/close button on my remote, so I thought it was loading up the game. That didn't happen.

I shut the console off and turned it back on. The spinning XBox 360 logo gets halfway through its spin and freezes. WTF! I turn it off again, it gets all the way through the boot logo screen and freezes again before the point where it loads the dashboard. *Sigh*

Turn it off and back on again, this time nothing on screen. But I look at the console. Oh, hell! Three red flashing lights! Damn it!

So, I run through the troubleshooting steps provided by Microsoft. Of course, they don't fix it. I'm starting to sweat now thinking I'm going to have to pay $140 to get the console repaired. So, I hunt down my receipt.

I purchased the thing on December 30, 2005. That's just 2 days before the "free repair" cutoff date set by Microsoft. I almost fell over. I got lucky there.

I just got off the phone with the support rep and they're sending out a prepaid box for me to ship the console in for repair. No cost to me for anything. She said I could buy an extended one or two year warranty for $24.99 and $49.99 respectively within 30 days of receiving the console again.

I'll be purchasing the two-year extended warranty. That was too scary. I don't know why I didn't buy an extended plan in the first place.

I think the XBox is throwing a fit because I took the Wii home instead of it. How childish. :tongue:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    And wouldn't you know that the national consumer agency actually advises against extended warranties. :\
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    And that has been my view for the most part. I didn't buy one on my TV. I hadn't purchased one for a while until I grabbed one with the Wii last Sunday. I may be grabbing them for consoles from now on. So disappointing.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited November 2006
    I've never had so much as a hiccup from any Nintendo consoles, so I didn't bother for my Wii.

/shrug

Maybe something to look into if I get a 360. I heard working first-gen 360's are few and far between. :range:
    edited November 2006
    Well, now there is one less working first-gen 360. Hah.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Lol, good to see MS is taking care of you. to bad you will be out of a system for a few weeks :(

Playing with the Wii should be a good substitute. Oh wait that didn't sound right!?
    edited November 2006
    What are you talking about? I love playing with my Wii... :cool:
  • edited November 2006
    TheGr81 wrote:
    I've never had so much as a hiccup from any Nintendo consoles, so I didn't bother for my Wii.

/shrug

Maybe something to look into if I get a 360. I heard working first-gen 360's are few and far between. :range:

Really? My first gamecube's disc reader seemed to die, sent it in to repair and they fixed it for a few months and then it broke again:bawling: ended up buying a new gamecube over just fixing it agian for a few months. Maybe it was just one of the few faultly gamecube consoles.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Who can tell me more or provide a link to something that talks about the various "generations" of Xbox 360's?

I didn't know there was a first generation, and second, or third, etc., for however many generations there are.

I have a regular Xbox now, but will get a 360 when Halo 3 comes out late next year. And I'm only getting a 360 because you'll have to have one to play Halo 3.

I'll wait as long as possible to buy a 360, so I can get one that is a later model and SHOULD be a better design.