Can I replace hard drive media (discs)?

edited December 2006 in Hardware
The hard drive in my computer failed and I would like to recover the data.
Assuming the media is not damaged, is it possible to remove the discs from this drive and re install them into another exact same model hard drive?
The drive is an old Seagate St34323A

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    There are programs that can help you recover information... you should never open a drive unless you don't plan on keeping it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    What were the results of the drive test that told you it failed? I'm assuming you ran the SeaTools program.

There are data recovery techniques which do involve opening the drive, but they are not for the inexperienced. As RWB said, they also involve throwing away both the old and the new drives once you're done.

How much is this data worth to you? I'm not suggesting that you should give up doing this on your own, just that having a feel for how far you are willing to go to try and recover your files would be helpful.

Whatever you do, don't go opening the drive on your own. If you're serious about getting your stuff back you should not be running the drive at all right now. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Thank you for the quick responses.
    I have tried several HD diagnostic programs and they show "no HD detected"
    Cables/ connections and bios are all ok, and the problem seems to be the hard drive itself.

Mike
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    The "no HD detected" message offers some hope, ironically. It may be that what has failed is the logic board (the circuit board mounted on the outside of the back of the drive). These can be easily replaced without having to actually open the chamber where the discs are located.

Being an older drive you could probably find one on eBay for peanuts. Keep in mind that you'll want to match the exact revision of the board on your drive.

It's worth a shot. :)
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks Prof.
    I guess I overlooked a simple solution.

I will keep my eyes open for one.
    Mike
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    This will sound crazy, but I have actually recovered at least 10 drives doing the following.

I hook the drive up while it is dismounted and the machine side is off.

With the drive out side the case I turn it bottomside up (force bearing on the top). Very gently and insuring the flat metal top contacts squarely I tap the drive against the table top while it is trying to power up.

This works because the force bearing in most drives allows the spindle to settle and bind when it wears excessively. By turning drive over and using minor shock it will allow gravity to drop the spindle to the other end of the bearing and spin itself up. The heads are parked so it doesn't crash the drive.

It doesn't fix it, but it will run long enough to copy the data off. I usually make sure it is mounted as a secondary drive with acronis or some such loaded. That way when/if it spins up I can immediately get the data off. If it does spin up, never remove power til you're done. Sometimes they will come back up. Sometimes they won't. Really depends how worn the bearings are.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited December 2006
    Pipemaker wrote:
    Thanks Prof.
    I guess I overlooked a simple solution.

I will keep my eyes open for one.
    Mike
    Did you swap the logic board afterall? Was there a solution?
  • hyperstrikerhyperstriker NY, USA
    edited December 2006
    no HDD detect?, because power failure or INITIATION failure? , it does spin..?
  • edited December 2006
    I tried missleman's suggestion without success.

The disks in the faulty drive do spin up, and the computer functions properly with a replacement HDD.

I am still looking for an exact replacement for the original drive so I can swap the circuit board.

I will post the results when I acquire one.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Mike