Weird problem with new rig (DFI Board)

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited November 2006 in Hardware
Im building a new rig for a friend with almost the same parts as mine... With the same board too (DFI LAN PARTY ULTRA-D)

Problem is, when i recieved the computer (all build from the computer shop) and i first booted the computer, it took like 4-5 seconds before i can see the DFI LOGO, but it finaly booted...

Everything seems to be ok... so im like 'i'll go look at the BIOS and see the settings' , then i reboot and go to the BIOS, there was a lot of tweak to do with those settings but that's part of the game. So i turn off the DFI LOFO to be able to see the bios date at the boot-screen, save & quit and then what ? BIPPP BIPPP BIPPP Red ligth and nothing happen...

After some hours of testing, i can say that to boot i needed to FLASH THE BIOS (clear cmos for 10 mins with power down) , then the computer will boot again ONE TIME, if i want to boot it again, i need to clear the cmos another time. BIG WASTE of time if you ask me lol

Before leaving the BIOS on the first boot i saved the settings into bank #1 to be sure i have something to return to if i ever do something bad with my tweaks (i did not tweak the computer atm, with default settings cuz now when i clear the cmos it loads defaults settings, i see a 'checksum error - reload default settings' on the bootscreen, 'press f4 to continue' or something like this). After one of the many many cmos reset i've done, i tried to reload the bank #1 to see if it can do something good (running out of idea), and OMFG, the settings that have been loaded from the save was mixed up, FSB of 456 or something like that. Every settings was all messed-up. I reloaded default settings, save & quit. Same thing as usual on reboot, BIPPP BIPPP BIPPP...

The bios date seems to be pretty recent, 2006 at least, so i decided to try to flash to 510-2 BIOS (my best bios ever) and see how it goes, problem is, i did not think about the fact that after the awdflash execution the insturctions tells to go into the bios and reload default settings BEFORE doing the flash, but the computer after the reboot did nothing else than red ligths and BIPPP BIPP BIPPP sound. I tried flashing the bios anyway, but now it wont boot at all...

Anyone have an idea of what happened to me with this board ??? I think i did an error on my last try of putting 510-2 bios (i should have known that my computer wont boot and its writen in the instructions that we need to RELOAD default settings BEFORE clearing the cmos) but man that was my last resort...

I just want to know what do you think happened to me, what can cause this ? Wrong bios ? Bad board ?

I'll call the shop where i bought the computer tonite and i want to have some clue from dfi-expert before doing so...

Sorry for my bad english and the pretty long text, i was trying to give you the all the information i could.

Thankx

NOTE : I posted this thread on dfi-street.com too but im still waiting for an answer at that place, maybe you can put some ligth on that problem :wave:

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    might have had a bad flash in this case youll have to do a hotswap flash with anouther system using the same bios chip, thats what i had to do.

try resetting the bios and unplugging the power and trying different memory before that though, but that does sound like a similar problem i had with my dfi and i had to do the hotswap.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited November 2006
    Oh well, that sucks :(

I tried the RAM on my board and everything is ok.

Someone told me that a processor badly installed could cause that kind of weird problem... I will take a look at that tonite...

What i found weird in my case is that everything was working well UNTIL i saved and closed the BIOS, so my guess is that the hotswap could be the solution...

hotswap = I have to remove the chipset from another DFI LANPARTY ULTRA-D board and install it on my board ? but if for that i have to buy a new motherboard its a pretty sad solution :(

And if i buy a new motherboard i'll swap everything on that board and i wont play with the chipset to do a hotswap...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Double check the jumper and replace the battery. I haven't had the issue on my DFI, but I chased BIOS problem on another mobo for weeks and found a bad battery holder.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited November 2006
    I found the problem....

The *BIP* code was for the RAM it seems (i was thinking RAM was 2 close BIP like 'bibip.... bibip...'. On my old board it was that but for DFI it looks like its different.

Seems like the RAM that was on the board didnt like the 2.6 volt (default settings when you load a bios) ... I did a test and changed the ram (2 gig redline) for a stick of 256 meg kingston , booted up... Then pushed up the vdimm to 2.8 , reboot + stop computer + switch to the redline again and then it boot-up everytime.

The sticks of redline seems bad cuz i recieved some for my computer and it boots up at default settings very well.

Its weird tho that the computer was booting everytime after a cmos clear, even on default settings.

Seems like i cannot understand everything in the beautiful world of hardware :D

Thankx for the help !