Screwed UP

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited November 2006 in Hardware
Okay, it's been a while since I've had to post in this category. First, my dad was on the PC this afternoon and was reading the news and he turned the monitor around to show me something and all of a sudden the mouse froze and we couldn't do anything. I wasn't too worried, so I just rebooted, and all the old stuff. Once I got to the load screen for Windows, I waited for what seemed like forever and nothing happened, so I decided to try to reboot again. Same thing. Now I was getting a bit angry and I decided to boot into Vista, which is on the same hard drive on a different Partition. Vista goes to the load screen and automatically reboots after that. So than I put in my XP CD and tried a repair session, which took me no where because any key I pressed would reboot the PC. I formatted the drive, and reinstalled just XP Home SP2 thinking it would be fine, since I needed to format anyways. Now I installed all the drivers for everything, though I haven't updated them yet, and it seemed to be working fine for a few minutes. Then, I installed Firefox, and downloaded the installers for Winamp and WMP. When I try to install WMP it tells me I'm low on memory, and that's not true because Firefox was the only non-service running and it doesn't take 1 gig. I also changed the settings in Firefox and then closed out and turned it back on and the settings go back to default (this happened three times). Then I rebooted once again, and it started lagging at the load screen again for 3-4 minutes. I am really not having a good day right now, and this is just about all I can take, so if you guys can help quick, I also have HW to do for which I need everything to worK. :banghead:

EDIT: Okay, I just went to ATI's (!) site and tried to download the latest catalyst drivers but Firefox is giving me an error that goes something like: "Cannot read source of file. Please try again later." I really, really, really can't afford a hardware problem right now.......

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Run Hitachi's DFT and Memtest, both of which can be found on the ultimate boot CD (UBCD).
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Run Hitachi's DFT and Memtest, both of which can be found on the ultimate boot CD (UBCD).
    I tried to get UBCD, and it freezes before the file even gets close to finishing. I don't know what to do...
    edited November 2006
    Try another computer?
    edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Try another computer?
    Thanks for the help Thrax, but I found that the problem is the HDD. I didn't run any scans or anything, but I opened the PC, cleaned out a truckload of dust, and the HDD was slightly loose, and once I turned on the PC making strange noises. It's running fine now, and I think I'll be getting a non-WD HDD as soon as i have the cash.

EDIT: Is there any free programs you guys know of that will let me transfer the songs on my ipod back to my PC in MP3 format. I found some shareware that didn't look right so I didn't bother. I really don't want to build up my whole library again... And the last backup I made was 2 months ago on Mozy.
    edited November 2006
    Now that I know the problem is the HDD, is there anything I can do to fix it and not have to buy another one? I only need it to last until about February, which is the soonest I can get a job and afford a drive...
    edited November 2006
    Run Hitachi's DFT, give me the results, and I'll tell you.

In other news, HERE.
    edited November 2006
    Thanks again Thrax, but since I don't have access to another computer, I can't do that. On a better note, I just got through speaking to "live support" on newegg, and here's how it went:
    wrote:
    Chat InformationPlease wait while we connect you to a Newegg representative. You are number 1 in the queue.
    Chat InformationThank you for contacting Newegg. My name is Bruno. How may I assist you today?
    Vash: I bought a bunch of parts for a new system from you guys back in January.
    Vash: I am having problems with my computer now.
    Vash: I believe it's my HDD.
    Vash: So is it possible to return/exchange the HDD?
    Vash: I think Newegg gives out a 1 year warranty and it's been about 8-9 Months now.
    Bruno: Sure. One moment please.
    Bruno: May I have your order# ?
    Vash: I don't have the paperwork for it that's the problem
    Vash: i can give you name, address, all the parts i bought etc...
    Bruno: No problem. Your login account will help too.
    Vash: Hmm, I don't remember but let me try to login and see if I can get it
    Vash: Okay, I got it
    Vash: The login is [******]
    Vash: The address is [******]
    Bruno: Thank you.
    Bruno: Is it a Western Digital hard drive you bought?
    Vash: Yes.
    Bruno: OK.
    Vash: 250 GB SATAII
    Bruno: RMA#23196420. You will be sent an email shortly with detailed instructions for the return.
    Vash: And will I get another HDD or my money back?
    Bruno: If we cannot replace the item right away when processing your RMA, then we normally credit you back for the original amount you spent on that item.
    Vash: Will I be paying for shipping [both ways if that applies]?
    Bruno: Though it's manufacturer's fault, I'm happy to credit you with $8 for return shipping. And we won't charge anything for sending the replacement.
    Vash: Wow, I've heard that newegg's customer service is great but!!!!
    Bruno: Is there anything else I can do for you?
    Vash: No thank you.

Unlike most companies, Newegg provided good service fast. I was on and off the conversation in about 5 minutes, and I usually wait 25-30 minutes to talk to other companies... Anyway, I'm about tp put in some good reviews, and this was the first.
    edited November 2006
    Not even at a friend's house? School? Something?

There's really no way for me to advise you how to fix the issue (If you can..) without that diagnostic. Sorry. :(
    edited November 2006
    Well, none of my friends live nearby, and school has everything so locked down it would take me at least and hour and a half to find a way through the stupid firewalls and such, and then a few minutes to download, and I just don't have the time. Anyways, since I lost all my stuff in the format, I may as well RMA it and get a new drive...
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    V|P wrote:
    Thanks for the help Thrax, but I found that the problem is the HDD. I didn't run any scans or anything, but I opened the PC, cleaned out a truckload of dust, and the HDD was slightly loose, and once I turned on the PC making strange noises. It's running fine now, and I think I'll be getting a non-WD HDD as soon as i have the cash.

EDIT: Is there any free programs you guys know of that will let me transfer the songs on my ipod back to my PC in MP3 format. I found some shareware that didn't look right so I didn't bother. I really don't want to build up my whole library again... And the last backup I made was 2 months ago on Mozy.

Yes try dBpowerAmp music Converter. Its fun fast and free (last time i checked). And totally feature packed. You Won't regret it. You can get it at www.download.com. I think it's version 11.5. Also, try the Rockbox mods for your ipod. They prevent you from using itunes alotogether and drag and drop is alot less hassle anyways.
    edited November 2006
    isiea wrote:
    Yes try dBpowerAmp music Converter. Its fun fast and free (last time i checked). And totally feature packed. You Won't regret it. You can get it at www.download.com. I think it's version 11.5. Also, try the Rockbox mods for your ipod. They prevent you from using itunes alotogether and drag and drop is alot less hassle anyways.
    Thanks man. If someone could move this thread to a non-emergency section now, I'm sure a lot of people need real help fast.
    edited November 2006
    Oh, I forgot to mention: I put this review in while I was talking to the guy, then I linked him here, and he gave me a choice of a free T-Shirt or Wallet from Newegg! Drool.... I don't see how these guys can afford to be so nice to customers...

If only Newegg made OSs...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    V|P wrote:
    ...I don't see how these guys can afford to be so satisfying to customers...
    Where are you going to spend your money the next time you upgrade something? ;)