core 2 duo

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Folding@Home
How many ppd should I expect off of a stock e6300 with 2 gigs o ram? Whats the best way to optimize it?

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    It depends on the WU you get, some suck, some don't. My E6600 is crunching on a pair of p2411's at 20 minutes a frame, that works out to 432 points per day, per core. I've also been stuck with a couple of amber WU's, and got far less than that, but I don't recall the number off the top of my head.
    The biggest thing you can do is to allow big WU's. It increases your ram usage, (I have seen upwards of 106mb per core, although with 2gb of ram, it shouldn't be an issue), but you get more points for them.
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited November 2006
    DanG pretty much hit the main points.

If you go to the FAH forums, you'll see that they really don't like to talk about folding performance in PPD. Basically- you can't. There are just too many real-world variables. They talk more about FLOPS and instruction sets like SSEs. Maybe a better measure of your Folding capability would be to compare your system with a scientific or CPU benchmark like Sandra 2007 (which was used here) .

If what I've been reading is correct you should, core-to-core and cycle-for-cycle, do 15% or more production over an AMD X2 in this category- and I can personally say that the Toledo is a good Folder. You shouldn't be disappointed.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2006
    Hi gravite the best way to check PPD on any folding platform IMHO is by checking at uncle_fungus's site they have all sort's of hardware comparison's.
    http://www.fahinfo.org/index.php?news=true
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited December 2006
    If its dedicated for F@H, go SMP (you´ll need a 64bit Linux distro). If not, then its just luck to get 2 bonus WUs when folding under Windows with 2 console clients.