FX 5200 problem..hellppp

Travis0190Travis0190 Palmyra, NJ
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I just bought this video card today..128 MB, AGP slot..Mostly to play Rainbow six..

Here's the problem Im having...I went to install the drivers from the CD, and it got through most of the install..then about halfway in...it says "Nvidia could not locate drivers that are compatible with the current hardware. Install will exit."...So I figured the drivers were out of date, and went to Nvidia's site and downloaded the current drivers..81.77 or something...I tried to install that...and got the same exact message.

So then I disabled my current video card (which is an on-board card), shut my computer down...and put the FX 5200 in..Hooked the moniter up to that, and started it up...It went on, all the check screens before logon came up fine...then as soon as the Windows XP logging in screen comes on, the screen just dies and goes black..the light on the moniter went from green to orange just like that...

Beyond that...I have no damn clue what to do...I dont get why my computer wouldn't run it..I have an AMD Sempron 2300 1.58 ghz, 480 MB ram, moniter is only like 2 years old...Computer itself is only like a year and a half old...

I was contemplating uninstalling the current on-board video card and trying that..but then if the FX 5200 doesn't work...will I be stuck with a working computer and a blank screen?

What is going wrong here??

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    You need to uninstall your onboard video card in device manager, disable it in the computer's BIOS, <b>then</b> install your FX5200 and load windows to install the drivers. I made this mistake several times with modern nVidia cards at work, before I figured it out. Drove me nuts.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Panties wrote:
    You need to uninstall your onboard video card in device manager, disable it in the computer's BIOS, <b>then</b> install your FX5200 and load windows to install the drivers. I made this mistake several times with modern nVidia cards at work, before I figured it out. Drove me nuts.

beat me to it. grrr...

good post tho. :)
    edited November 2006
    I always do. ;)
  • Travis0190Travis0190 Palmyra, NJ
    edited November 2006
    Panties wrote:

How do I disable it in BIOS?...

Only thing though...it says the drivers aren't compatible when I tried installing them...if I uninstall the current card, will it then install all the way??...and if it doesnt work still, will i be stuck without a video card??...

and once i uninstall and disable in bios and all that...I just start the computer up, it will log in..and install the drivers..right?
    edited November 2006
    You can only install the drivers for your new video card when the new video card is actually plugged in.

To disable the onboard video card in the BIOS, you need to hit Delete, F1, F2, Insert or F12 while your computer is booting. You'll be greeted with (usually) a blue and white menu. Navigate through all the menus (Each computer's is typically laid out differently) until you find a section that says something "Onboard AGP" or "Integrated Graphics" or otherwise mentions your video card with ENABLE/DISABLE as the options. Disable it, save your changes with the key the BIOS indicates, reboot the PC and shut it down via the power button after it beeps.

Install your new card, load windows, install the drivers, and you'll be set.
    edited November 2006
    Panties wrote:
    You can only install the drivers for your new video card when the new video card is actually plugged in.

To disable the onboard video card in the BIOS, you need to hit Delete, F1, F2, Insert or F12 while your computer is booting. You'll be greeted with (usually) a blue and white menu. Navigate through all the menus (Each computer's is typically laid out differently) until you find a section that says something "Onboard AGP" or "Integrated Graphics" or otherwise mentions your video card with ENABLE/DISABLE as the options. Disable it, save your changes with the key the BIOS indicates, reboot the PC and shut it down via the power button after it beeps.

Install your new card, load windows, install the drivers, and you'll be set.

Jeez..thanks a ton for your help...seriously..

I just have one quick ?...after I shut it down..and you say Load windows, that means I let it boot up like normal the desktop and install it from there?...just wanna make sure 100% what im doing..lol
    edited November 2006
    That's right. With your onboard off, your new video card installed, just let the computer start up normally. Load the software when it gets to the desktop, then reboot your computer to finish.
    edited November 2006
    I tried that..and its still doing the same thing..it works until the XP logo is about to come up, then it goes blank.

I uninstalled the video card...restarted, hit delete to enter BIOS...the only thing is that I couldn't really find anything to disable a video card on there. Their were things for CMOS, BIOS, and Integrated Peripherals...I tried that, but theirs nothing actually labeled for video cards or under the name of it (VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP)...I tried disabling the VGA thing, as a couple other things...and its still the same result...

And after I uninstalled and disabled the onboard card in device manager...I started it back up, and I looked..and its still on there like I never did anything to it??...
    edited November 2006
    Do you know what motherboard you have?
    edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Do you know what motherboard you have?

Yeah...Biostar M7VIG 400..

I was trying to see if the FX 5200 is compatible with it..but i couldnt find anything...?