Quad FX not looking good for AMD :(

lewicronlewicron Glasgow
edited December 2006 in Hardware
...performance of a dual-processor platform built with two dual-core Athlon FX processors turned out lower than that of the competitor’s solutions built on quad-core Kentsfield
Quad FX platform is often slower than the regular Socket AM2 system with a single CPU because of the higher memory subsystem latency
from the performance-per-watt prospective Quad FX platform loses not only to Intel Kentsfield based solutions but to all other platforms as well. The sky-high heat-dissipation and power consumption of this platform also set specific requirements to power supply units, system cases and system cooling.
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-quad-fx.html

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Quad FX is a frankensolution at best. I'm really disappointed that AMD would release such a horrible stopgap fix to Intel's <i>Kentsfield</i>.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    My new sad Poem, for AMD :(

AMD was meant to be,
    But meet a mighty foe,
    A smack threw down,
    Knocked off its Crown,
    And now I’m stuck with Intel…
    :bawling:

I am hopeful for a company come back and will still run my AMD chips with pride, But Intel has put the smack down on AMD.
  • lewicronlewicron Glasgow
    edited November 2006
    My new sad Poem, for AMD :(

AMD was meant to be,
    But meet a mighty foe,
    A smack threw down,
    Knocked off its Crown,
    And now I’m stuck with Intel…
    :bawling:

I am hopeful for a company come back and will still run my AMD chips with pride, But Intel has put the smack down on AMD.

My new sad haiku, for AMD :bawling:

I love AMD,
    But this looks a pile of poo,
    Unfortunately.

Ditto on the comeback sentiment, but they have an enormous amount of ground to make up with K8L. It would be foolish to write them off, though.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    AMD with the QuadFX, has produced something I don't want, need, use or can afford.

Datsun 1600
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited December 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Quad FX is a frankensolution at best. I'm really disappointed that AMD would release such a horrible stopgap fix to Intel's <i>Kentsfield</i>.

A year ago this would've been a Dream system.... A year from now it will be again (Dual K8.5 Quad cores)
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    They will come back, it's the cyclical battle btw Intel & Amd. This round goes to Intel, who knows next round might be AMD or it might still be Intel. One day Amd will regain it's lost crown.

Long live AMD or should i say Intel. lol
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    you know frankly i don't quite get it. i've looked into the architecture of the 4x4 and clearly see its strengths and weaknesses. first off, applications in general have yet to take advantage of a multicore setup, let alone one such an example of 4x4. its because of this "games" don't run well on multicore setups. with that said most definately, AMD will be biting the bullet with this one, not because its technology is inferior but because its innovation(s) simply isn't ready for prime time. everyone is nagging at AMD. I bet if you throw in a couple of wd raptors into a RAID array, do some video encoding, music editing, some folding and play a demanding game at the same time it would start to choke a FSB laden intel kentsfield. the only reason why kentsfield is in the lead is because its cheap saving grace of what a 4mb cache is it? hardly a reason to frag an AMD product. it works, yes, but when the real hardcore gear is put on, intels fsb based solution won't save them. call me a fanatic or simply flame me, i am an AMD addict, but i won't be getting either solution from intel or AMD until technology is supported, well adopted well implemented into the mainstream and its potentials of either solution is realized to its full extent.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I defended AMD for 6 years. I can't defend them on this. This product isn't <i>bad</i> so much as it is ill-conceived.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    and yes quite frankly i will have to declare the winner intel here.