Hard drive installation issues..things that make you go &*@#!

edited November 2006 in Hardware
My mom's Hard drive crashed in her HP Pavillion. It was a 40G Seagate and We bought a WD 80G to replace it.

I installed it and placed the jumper on cable select the same as her old one. I put in the software to install the HD and it doesnt recognize it. There's a step that's supposed to autodetect the drive set up (primary master, primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave) you select it then continue. It doesnt show up as any of these and says that if it doesnt to check the cable and jumper. Tried every possible cable/jumper set up and it wont recognize it. So I cant go any further on the HD set up disk.

I put in the Windows XP home disk. It goes thru the first few steps, (system analysis, copies files successfully) Reboots and does it all over again and again and again. Doesnt get any further.

I'm thinking I need to check the master/slave assignments in BIOS, but cant get there. If I try to boot it with no disk I get "No operating system found" on the top of a black screen.

If I put in the HD set up disk it does a little more of the boot up sequence but not far enough to get to BIOS then goes right to that step where it's not recognizing the placement of the HD.

If I put in the windows disk it does the same boot up sequence as the HD set up then does the same loop described above.

I'm bringing a new cable over there today and will make more specific notes of what I try that is NOT working. I'd appreciate any ideas or secrets on how to get into BIOS. I've tried pushing DELETE, F2, F8 while it's booting to no avail. It doesnt get to the point where it tells you which one to hit to go to set up.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    What else is hooked up to that IDE cable? If you have two different IDE cables, try running only the Optical drive on one, and the hard drive on the other. both as masters. Did the hard drive come pre-formatted? most don't and I was just wondering.
  • edited November 2006
    Thanks for the reply :)

Nothing else is hooked up to that cable. I've tried cable select, master, and single jumper settings.

The windows xp home disk did say that it formatted it, then copied a set of files (dlls mostly) to where it first reboots. Then it does it all over again after the reboot.