bad computer start up

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Toshiba A105-S4014
Windows XP

My laptop started to act differently about 2 weeks ago. Whenever I started up, it told me either, "operating system not found", or "highlight a selection: last config, safe, normal". For 'operating', I press CtrlAltDel and it started up fine. For 'highlight' i press last config, and everything was fine. But just yesterday, the laptop restarted upon entering the black Windows screen with the blue bar at the bottom.

I called tech support, they told me how to use the recovery disk, everything was fine after that. I must've shut down my computer 5 times, and my laptop ran completely fine.

But this morning, I got the 'highlight' page again. After about 5 tries of pressing the power tab..my computer was able to start back up again. But it froze after 5 minutes of usage. The second time i used it, it froze when i went to press the restart button.

It seems to be working fine right now, but i'm not sure what's wrong with the laptop

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    I would start by running the test from the hard drive manufacturer.

This could also be heat related, but since cleaning a laptop is a good deal more involved than cleaning a desktop computer I would get the simple stuff checked out first. :)