A quick question?

edited December 2006 in Hardware
In everyone's personal opinion, what is better to build on a very limited budget. A machine with a slightly outdated processor (amd 64 3400+), great ram, good video card, or a computer with better processor but integrated graphics or really cheap graphics card? Just wondering what you all thing about it.....

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Hmmm ...what do you consider a better processor?
  • edited December 2006
    If the money was right, an e6600, but i doubt it will be. Either one of those, a conroe in general, or an upperclass 939 (225 dollar range)
    edited December 2006
    But ...you can't even overclock a 939 or 940 and match the stock e6600 performance. It's a 65nm core that uses less power and generates less heat.
    I'd get core2duo and get a good vid card later on.

If you like I can show you how my opteron 165 overclocked @ 2.8mhz benches against a stock e6600 @2.4 reference machine. Believe me you'll run from the A64.
  • edited December 2006
    I'd love to see that. My only concern with this is that I won't be able to play hl2 or anything else with integrated.
    edited December 2006
    I'd love to see that. My only concern with this is that I won't be able to play hl2 or anything else with integrated.

Here you go.

Edit:\ What's your budget and what components do you need? Where do you plan on shopping? etc ...
  • edited December 2006
    I have around 550 dollars, and I'm building from the ground up. I plan on buying some local, the rest through here or newegg.
    edited December 2006
    Well you could start a wish list at newegg and keep track of all of your components. You can add and delete objects at any time and it makes it really easy when it comes time to order. Also with the holidays there are quite a few combos and specials.
  • edited December 2006
    He's got a point, but if you wait til right after the holidays you might be even better off. You can build your computer for that amount of money, you just have to really know what to look for and where to look for it. You ought to be able to get a good video card for 150 or less and then keep an eye out for other parts. Computer stuff goes on sale all over the internet everyday...keep a very close watch.
  • edited December 2006
    I'm always looking around on tiger, zipzoomfly, the bst here, and newegg. Also, i found a nice antec case locally for 50 bucks (100 dollar case origninally)