Memory Crisis: Please Help

edited December 2006 in Hardware
I just purchased a computer with the ECS945G Mobo and a pentium D 915 proc. Unfortunately, the ddr2 standard is 667 and for some reason, the builder put in ddr2 533. I was unaware of this, but i had major problems installing xp (bsod and numerous errors), but i was eventually able to get into windows. Now everything works fine, but I haven't tried to do much with it yet. I called the builder and he offered to come pick it up from me and give me a full refund, since he cannot currently afford getting new ram for it. I really like the comp, but am unable to buy new ram right now because my budget is really tight. Is it safe to run this ram in the computer for a while until I can afford new ram?

P.S. If anyone knows how to turn of the integrated video in this board, please post that in here too. I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Yes, it's safe. As for the onboard, it's probably in a section labelled "Integrated peripherals" in the computer's BIOS.
  • edited December 2006
    Could the incorrect ram caused in problems with windows? Also, what would the integrated video be called in the integrate periphs menu of bios. Sorry for any problems with this not making sense, I'm really sick (nasty flu) and on lots of medication.
    edited December 2006
    The RAM could cause problems if it's bad, but otherwise no, it couldn't cause problems. The name varies, but you're looking for something like "Integrated video," "Onboard VGA," "Integrated VGA" etc.
  • edited December 2006
    Any clue as what could be the cause? Some of the errors i got were that some essential files were unable to be copied from the cd. I have a brand new xp pro cd, so could it possibly be from crappy drives, or could it be from something more serious, and how do I tell what it comes from. Sorry for all the questions.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    ...Unfortunately, the ddr2 standard is 667 and for some reason, the builder put in ddr2 533...
    Could the incorrect ram caused in problems with windows?...
    As Thrax said, normally the answer would be "no".

The exception would be if the motherboard was trying to force the RAM to run at 667 when it's only rated for 533. If the BIOS is set to autodetect the installed memory (and it is recognizing it properly) it shouldn't be a problem.
  • edited December 2006
    What could be causing "setup cannot copy the file ......" errors that I get when i try to install windows? Mad mobo?
    edited December 2006
    Bad HDD, bad RAM or bad ROM.
  • edited December 2006
    This is so frustrating!!!!!!!
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited December 2006
    As has been said, your problems may not be tied to your bus speed ratings, but to a possibly defective memory board. You can eliminate this possibility by trying this:

Memtest

Read up on it, follow the directions, make the boot disk and boot with it on your machine. Let it run for a pass or two. If there is a failure, then you probably should replace the memory board when you can. Otherwise, you'll know to look for something else.
  • edited December 2006
    Well, it seems to be running very well now, after six hours of work :P. I've concluded that I will not be reformatting this until I get all new parts. I think the problem may be with my hdd though. So I"m gonna buy a new one. I could always use 250gb more lol
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited December 2006
    Ive seen this problem many many times. Get memtest86 and boot it up and run it. That should tell you if you have memory problems. I had some geil ddr400 I tossed into my athlon 2800+ box and it had issues copying files and the likes. I ran memtest86 and the ram failed horribly. Knowing what I know I pop into the bios and up the voltage a tad, the ram makes it farther into the test but still errors. So back to the bios. I start poking around and found the processor runs at 333 fsb, the ram was running at 400, the processor bus/memory bus was running at 3/3, I set the divider thingy (<--technical term) to 5/6 and re-ran the tests and it went 3 hours with out a hitch. Windows then installed perfectly.

Moral of the story: there could be a setting that is not set right in the bios.