trying to recover allocation unit

edited December 2006 in Hardware
hey guys
I went to format my computer yesterday.I got up to about 5% and then it comes up "trying to recover allocation unit".Now i started formating just over 15 hours ago and it still seems to be making progress.
Any idea what this means and what i should do about it?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    Run the tests from the hard drive manufacturer. :)
  • edited December 2006
    thanks a tonne ill post back when im done
  • edited December 2006
    ok so im ready to go.I placed my windows xp cd into the cd drive and i got to the BIOS Settings and select boot from cd, I save and exit.I then wait for it to boot and it comes up

Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: No Bootable CDROM Found
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

now i know the cd is bootable because i used it to install it on this machine before
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    How did you burn the CD? What program?
  • edited December 2006
    It's an legitimate windows xp professional OEM CD
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Sorry, I didn't read well. I thought you were attempting to boot from the diagnostics tools provided by your hard-drive's manufacturer. Do you have multiple CD-ROMs? Typically ROM boot hits one or another ROM, but not both, though this is changing.
  • edited December 2006
    i have two cd drives in it and was able to boot from the master cd rom before running the diagnostics. I have tried resetting the bios settings and have pulled the cables out and back in again buit im still not having much luck

I changed the cable for the hdd and its all good now,I just need to boot from cd