Help Fast - Computer Locking Software?

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited December 2006 in Science & Tech
So I need to present an animation in an art show tomorrow on a laptop. I'd like to allow the user to start it via wmp, quicktunes, anything really, but I don't want them to have access to anything else on the computer. Is there anyway I can lock the computer except for a single program? Any software that might be able to accomplish this?

Comments

• djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited December 2006
    i can think of one quick way which should work as long as the user isn't too computer savvy

right click the folders you wish to hide from them then go to properties

at the bottom under attributes set the folder/s to hidden

now in explorer at the top click on tools>folder options then select the view tab

scroll down to where it says hidden files and folders and make sure that 'Do not show hidden files and folders' is checked

if they really wanna find youre files and that then they will be able to but at least this will make it a bit more difficult

hope that helps
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Nolf-Job wrote:
    So I need to present an animation in an art show tomorrow on a laptop. I'd like to allow the user to start it via wmp, quicktunes, anything really, but I don't want them to have access to anything else on the computer. Is there anyway I can lock the computer except for a single program? Any software that might be able to accomplish this?

Why not use the Guest account/profile or create another limited (OS) profile w/ Guest-level privileges? Move all the program groups and shortcuts out of ALL USERS\START MENU and ALL USERS\DESKTOP to your master account. Place shortcut(s) to the animation(s)/presentation(s) you'd like to allow the user to run in the ALL USERS\DESKTOP directory. Password protect the Administrator and any other accounts that are set up.

Is the OS XP Pro or MCE? If so, you have a lot more options in configuring user directory (folder) security, too.