need help with dell computer please!!!

edited December 2006 in Hardware
I want to throw my dell computer out the window... First I purchased this computer back in 04... stored it and never had it up and running until maybe 1 month ago... the hard drive crashed... called dell to purchase another one and was quoted 3 different prices. was frustrated and went to best buy and got it for much less and now i can't connect to the internet. Called dell again for the passed 4 days and spent about 20 hours on the phone with them for them to tell me today that i need to download drivers from their website... however on the website it doesn't specifically say what i need... can anyone help me get connected or if not recommend a brand for a new computer?

:honoes:

Comments

• edited December 2006
    marki03 wrote:
    I want to throw my dell computer out the window... First I purchased this computer back in 04... stored it and never had it up and running until maybe 1 month ago... the hard drive crashed... called dell to purchase another one and was quoted 3 different prices. was frustrated and went to best buy and got it for much less and now i can't connect to the internet. Called dell again for the passed 4 days and spent about 20 hours on the phone with them for them to tell me today that i need to download drivers from their website... however on the website it doesn't specifically say what i need... can anyone help me get connected or if not recommend a brand for a new computer?

:honoes:
  • edited December 2006
    I'm sorry did I miss something? were you going to respond to my question?
  • edited December 2006
    its not because its a dell most P/Cs are the same you need to format the hdd using a good old M E boot up disk this will load up all the needed drivers to start up ur p/c then when prompted put in ur operating disk ie X P or win98 the driver in windows to run ur p/c are good enough with going to sites
  • edited December 2006
    thanks... but that's what i am missing is that disk... dell can't send it to me and no one sells it... dell told me to go to their website and download it but i don't know what i need... there are all sorts of things on that site...
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Don't listen to lezlow, he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.:buck:

You'll need an XP boot disk, there should have been one sent with your computer, but around 2004-2005 the big PC makers stopped giving out boot disks, instead relying on a recovery partition on the hard drive.

Since you changed the hard drive, you now need an operating system to put on it.

I have worked on and reformatted / reloaded XP on several Dell systems, and more often than not, once that is done, I still need to go to dell.com and search the make and model of the computer and download drivers for it. Chipset drivers, LAN (ethernet), video, audio, 56K modem if needed, etc.

If you know anyone who has an XP boot disk, Dell or not, you can probably use it to reload XP, then call to activate it if needed using the XP activation code that should be on a label on your computer.
  • edited December 2006
    I'm computer literate but not that much... i guess that xp is windows correct? if that is what you are talking about i reloaded windows xp and i see the internet explorer but i guess that i need the drivers... when i go to dell's website and get the downloads that is what i am confused about what i need... is the driver's tools what i need or would it be under networking?
    thanks for your help
  • edited December 2006
    If you got it up and running with XP and all you need is the modem driver you can download it at Dell(may be several different ones so get all of them)

If you are having a tough time just buy a new modem (around 10-$15) and it will come with its own drivers.

just turn off your comp and remove the modem there and plug in the new one.

Sometimes thats a LOT easier than trying to mess with Dell online...
  • edited December 2006
    is this what i need Intel PRO/100 Network Drivers . or Dell Driver Reset Tool or both...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Intel PRO/100 driver.
  • edited December 2006
    thanks
  • edited December 2006
    sorry about my earlier answer, I dont know where I saw Modem...:doh: