AMD socket A woes...

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Alas, my poor AMD atlon1900 is no more. My problem is that i've replaced my burnt and toasty 1900 chip with a 2000xp+. I have no idea whether this new chip is a thoroughbred, or whatever. I went to the AMD website.... and they said the clock speed of the 2000xp+ should be around 1650mhz. When i run any diagnostic tools on my new chip it is still rating it at 1250mhz ( which happened to be the speed of my old chip.) I have installed the new chip on the same ECS motherboard (K7S5A) model, which according to the manual automatically determines the CPU clock speed for you.... do i need to pull the CPU back off the board and move the jumpers...(which the manual seems to frown highly upon) or is it a bios problem.?
I have no information about the chip other than the model, as my buddy pulled it out of a spare machine in his garage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

- Krikey

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    If the BIOS permits you on that board, set the bus speed to 133. Or, move the jumper on the board as per the manual to force 133MHz FSB/Host Clock/Reference Clock (Whatever the manual calls it).
  • edited December 2006
    I set the FSB speed to 133 and now it's recognizing it as a 1.66 ghz processor....thanks for the help!!! :thumbsup:

- Krikey
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    ;) Welcome to Short-Media. Stick around a while.