Immediate Help Pleaseeee "Lock Up"

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Ok Heres What Happened

PC came in brand new yesterday, running on windows xp MCE, intel pentium D920 2.8 GHz, 250gb, 1gb RAM and 256mb nVidia graphics card.

Connected it and set it up then while i was scanning for channels it locked up.

I thought it was normal and ignored it, then an hour later it was still locked.

by locked i mean non responsive keyboard and mouse, the screen just freezes and nothing moves, even sound just disappears. i tried CTRL+ALT+DEL which didnt work. the only way i could get out of it was by turning off the pc.

so i turned it off and now it locked up before i could access my user account. i decided to run the recovery program and re-install everything, which seemed to work fine.. but then it locked up within 40 minutes on running.

today i put it on trial, it managed nearly 2 hours then i loaded a usb with music on it... and it locked up after playing a few songs.

i realised it wasnt a virus problem because i havent connected to the internet with it yet, i dont know what could bewrong with it.

any help please? i really dont want to send it back, its just too much trouble, id rather see whats wrong, but i might have to.

when it locks up everything seems to be running, the hard drive seems to keep spinning, no strange noises at all, jus the screen goes dead and sound disappears

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited December 2006
    Does this PC have a support contract included of any kind? If so, so that any warranties may not be voided, contact said support for assistance seeing as how the system is new.
  • edited December 2006
    do you know what Mobo, video card and PS you have.

One thing pretty easy is to switch the slots the memory is in. (Un Plug the comp first)

Also you can take the side cover off and see if that helps (Is the CPU fan spinning?)

Also you should check the temps (CPU, Chipset) to see if its a Heat problem.
  • edited December 2006
    yep its got a support contract, i been on them all day, i wait for an hour tpo get a technician and he told me to run the recovery program again!!!! i tried to tell him iv done that a million times but he wouldnt listen, and it froze just after.. but i will try switching the memory slots and the cpu fan spins, its visible from a mesh grill. thanks for your help i will try
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I am guessingthat it is heat related. The power supply craping out, the CPU overheating, chipset overheating,

or it could be bogus memory. I get to say it first, run memtest
    edited December 2006
    If this PC came with a TV TUNER card, remove it from the system physically (assuming that it is not an integrated system like those ASUS clones) and see if it will allow you to boot. Process of elimination of the installed devices would be a good start. Burn in tests after each device removal will help in determining a faulty component as well. Ensure that the processor fan is unobstructed and running. Additionally, make sure that the heatsink is secure.

I am leaning towards a power issue, but MEMTEST would be a goodplace to start as stated before.
    edited December 2006