HDTV on Samsung 225BW?

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hey everyone, new guy here with some questions for you. :)

I purchased the Samsung 225BW about a month ago and while I've been quite happy with my purchase, there is one thing I'd like to know about. The 225BW has a DVI port which is HDCP compliant. That means it should work fine with just about any HDCP compliant cable box with either a DVI port or an HDMI as long as you have a DVI to HDMI converter, right? Well I went out and bought a DVI to HDMI converter cable and have connected both. I turned on the cable box and the monitor, but get this message -

Not Optimum Mode
Recommended Mode:
1680x1050 60Hz

Since my cable box is currently set to 1080i I'm assuming that's why I'm seeing that message and would probably just need to change the box settings to 720p for it to get a signal (something I'll have to figure out how to do).

However, I also have my Xbox 360 connected as well and it can force a 1080 image to appear, but with the image obviously extending way off screen on all sides because it's not the native res of the monitor. If that can happen then why doesn't the monitor display a 1080i image the same way when connected to the cable box instead of giving me the above message? Not that I want it to work that way, but I'm just curious.

Lastly, has anyone else here successfully used the 225BW with a cable box yet? If so, please post pics and your impressions. :)

Any help would be appreciated.