Water Cooling: How much better is it then air?

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited December 2006 in Hardware
I have heard from people that air cooling is just as good as water so don't bother. Also that if it is better then only by a minimal degree.

What is the best situation that I can expect. Right now my E6600 is running at 36-37 idle and 49-50 load at 3.1Ghz. If I could get some performance out of this, and push the clock further I would like to.

Please give me as many opinions as possible and your experience with it.

Thanks,

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Just about anybody here knows more about the newest air cooling options and C2Duo chips than I do, but my impression is that you're right - regular ol' water cooling doesn't yield much benefit over the latest and greatest heat sinks like the Scythe Ninja.

I use watercooling because it can be quieter than high performance air cooling (without utilizing massive multi-pound heat sinks, that is). For higher performance, water cooling can be combined with TECs, but then you may need an auxilary power supply and protection measures against condensation. Or, you can go the all-in-one route.
  • edited December 2006
    Honestly unless you are trying to get the absolute last drop of speed from ur comp I say no.
    I have built a bunch using different stuff and its gone from Worse than Air (Coolermaster Aquagate) to 3 to 5C better than air with about $300+ worth of stuff (Swiftech, DangerDen and Asetek)
    It looks cool but adds more complexity than necessary for 90% of comps.

Now if ur in that 10% that wants more mhz than the cost wont matter to you.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited December 2006
    I am thinking that I won't gain all that much from switching to water.

Anyone feel differently, or have any ideas on how I could get some performance out of less money put in.

Thanks,
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Watercooling definately has the ability to drop the noise in your computer case because you can get rid of at least one fan, and because there isn't a heatsink in the case trying to get rid of the heat, your case temp should drop which may allow you to get rid of another fan or 2.
    As for performance, you're not really going to gain much, if anything at all over some of the recent heatsinks that are on the market.