Can't find hard drive when trying to reformat

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hi,
When I boot using the XP disk and press enter to begin the set-up process it straight away comes up saying "Setup did not find any hard disk drives in your computer."

"Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running any manufacturer supplied diagnostic or setup program."

I have a Western Digital WD1200JB 120gig hard drive.

Thank you for any help you might be able to give .

--
I posted this in another thread with a similar problem but I wasn't sure if it would get noticed.

I'm also new to this so please just tell me if you need more information and where to find it. Thanks

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited December 2006
    Mkae sure that BIOS is detecting the drive. It is IDE,so ensure that the drive is plugged up correctly with pin 1 pointing to the molex power and that it is jumpered correctly.

Here is WDs information on the drive:
    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=27

If you have a disk available to you like the UBCD, use it to test the HD's integrity once you have confirmed that it is detected by BIOS. If it cannot be detected by BIOS let us know what the outcome is. The possibility exist that the logic board may be dead as well.
  • edited December 2006
    Sorry, I forgot to say in my first post that I already have XP Home installed and working. I need to reformat because of constant errors and poor performance. I also want to upgrade it to XP professional instead of home and have been using an XP pro disk. (I have already tried with the original disk used to install home just to be sure and I get the same message). I've read in other threads that it might be because I need drivers on a floppy or something but is that only for SATA?
  • edited December 2006
    Yes, it is plugged in correctly and it isn't being detected by BIOS. I tried moving it to the other IDE port on the mobo just for the hell of it and it still didn't work.