Good Linux Mobo

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited December 2006 in Hardware
I'm looking for a mobo that is supported by Linux for s939 or AM2 and has integrated video. I prefer ASUS, but other brands might by accepted. Wanting a board that's well under $100. By supported, I mean Linux properly detects and works with all the features of the board: video, NIC, USB, SATA, etc. I do not want a VIA chipset.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    For "Well under" $100 you're going to have a pretty limited selection that includes all the onboard features you need.

I've had perfect out-of-the-box support for Tyan boards that have the AMD 8000-series chipset, like the S2850 (using RHEL / CentOS)

When you say "well under", how much under do you mean?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited December 2006
    I was wanting to be in under $85, but if you don't know of anything in that range, then tell me what you do know of, even if it is over $100.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Sorry, I just did some searching - looks like you can't even find AMD 8000-series boards anymore. The only boards I can say with 100% certainty (personal experience) that fulfill your needs is the Tyan S2850, which seems to be discontinued :(
  • edited December 2006
    a2jfreak wrote:
    I'm looking for a mobo that is supported by Linux for s939 or AM2 and has integrated video. I prefer ASUS, but other brands might by accepted. Wanting a board that's well under $100. By supported, I mean Linux properly detects and works with all the features of the board: video, NIC, USB, SATA, etc. I do not want a VIA chipset.

Here is my recommendation, Biostar TForce6100-939. Costs less than $80, has integrated video, should be Linux compatible without any problem, and supposedly overclocks well too. I have not used yet but I have been seriously considering it. I was thinking about buying another Opty 165 with this board.