Unable to access BIOS & Get Unmountable boot volume error

edited December 2006 in Hardware
I am unable to access BIOS setting using F2 to change BIOS to boot from CD and i keep getting unmountable boot volume error.
I have put the XP CD in the drive, but since i am not able to change BIOS setting how do i make PC boot from CD
I am really stuck--please help
V:bawling:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    Do you have one of those multimedia keyboards where the Function keys serve double-duty as shortcut keys to other things, such as opening your email program, etc? If so, look for an F-Lock key (or something similar) and make sure that the Function keys are enabled. There is usually a light on the keyboard to tell you when you have it right.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Try unplugging the computer, removing the CMOS battery from the MB, then move the CMOS jumper to the reset position and leave it there for fifteen minutes. Reverse the process and see if you can now get into the BIOS.
  • edited December 2006
    I did check the Function keys to make sure they are enabled. I should have mentioned this is for Dell inspiron laptop, so you can imagine reseting the CMOS would involve taking the entire laptop apart..
    Is there software way of reseting CMOS?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    vijayv wrote:
    ...reseting the CMOS would involve taking the entire laptop apart...
    Maybe, maybe not. If you're lucky they located the jumper in an easily accessible place, like in the same area the RAM is located. You might be able to get to it by merely sliding off a panel somewhere. Some laptops have a reset port (usually a little hole) on the back of the machine. A straightened-out paper clip will let you press the little button inside.
    Is there software way of reseting CMOS?
    Not that I know of. :(

It's not guaranteed, but one old trick is to rapidly type every key possible as soon as you turn the computer on. This sometimes causes a keyboard error and gives you an option of proceeding or entering the BIOS to "fix" it.

Good luck. :)
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited December 2006
    Gonna have to remove the battery...sorry.