%$#@&! eMachines

mtroxmtrox Minnesota
edited December 2006 in Hardware
Client has a Pent IV 2.6 eMachines he's never turned on that's about 2 years old. Wants two flat panels...fine. So I go to put an old Radeon 7000 in there that I've had around. Won't boot up (hardware is not my specialty). So I figure I have to trun off the on-board Intel video thing....there is absolutely no option in the BIOS to turn it off. None.

Is there usually a jumper on the mobo to turn it off? The only markings on the mobo is D33007 and under that, VG33. I found it at fica.com...but no manual for the VG33.

I could disable it through Device Manager, but I assume that wouldn't do any good during POST.

Am I right.........I have to turn off the Intel thing? And if so, how?

Comments

• Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited December 2006
    Did you plug a monitor into the onboard card while the Radeon is also in? If the onboard one works and the Radeon does not, then I'd say yes, the onboard needs to be disabled first.

All of the boards I've dealt with no option to turn on/off the onboard card automatically disabled it when a card was in the AGP slot. Yours may have a choice somewhere but that could explain the lack of one.

If you get no video from the onboard while the Radeon is in you may be maxing out the power supply. OEMs supply small output units that usually only allow a small margin above what the system needs. Check out PCApex PSU Calculator to see if it is plausible.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited December 2006
    Park_7677 wrote:
    Did you plug a monitor into the onboard card while the Radeon is also in?

I think you called it Park. I don't remember how I did it the first time, but this time I made sure the monitor was plugged into the Radeon while I booted and it booted up fine. Installed the driver, rebooted and all is well. Now I go to device mgr and only see the Radeon. Does the mobo know there's nothing plugged into the onboard Intel so it disables it?