DVD drive not recognizing DVDs

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hi

Can't seem to find an answer to this specific problem anywhere so thought i would post it.

I burned a DVD with Nero 6 Ultra Edition and as it was finishing, clicked the 'Verify Written Data' button to make sure my files were OK before deleting them.

This completed OK and it identified 1 file of 6 that was corrupted, so i put in a new blank disk to burn a second copy of the corrupted file, and others. I know the version of the file on my HD is not corrupted as i have used it already.

However, the writing crashed on the 2nd disk at 1% (not while writing the corrupted file) and i had to do a hard reset to get Nero to close down. Since then my DVD drive will not recognize any DVDS - blank or movies (ones that i know work). It will recognize CDs.

I have an Acer Travelmate 8104 with an LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4080N Dual layer DVD writer.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Fergus

Comments

• nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited December 2006
    Hi there,

I had a similar problem with my old DVD writer. All of a sudden one day it came up with an error when I was a burning an image and from the moment on it didn't recognise any disc I put in it.

I tried several things to see if it could return back to normal operation and perhaps the best thing to do first is to try and find and install the latest firmware for the model you have.

I presume this is a laptop you have there so if the firmware doesn't do the job or you can't find any firmware at all for your DVD writer, then I think you'll have to check your warranty and if it's still valid you can replace the writer with a new one.

In my case it was an internal IDE DVD writer and the firmware I found for it didn't make any difference and the same problems persisted. In many other models however, the firmware appears to be all that is needed. I tried readjusting the wiring of the DVD writer in the desktop but again that didn't provide any solution, so in the end all I could was to take advantage of the warranty and had a new DVD writer delivered to me.
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks for that - i've tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver automatically, but i'll see if i can get a new version from the manufacturers website.

Luckily i took out the Acer Warranty so i can get it changed if need be.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Bluntly put, it's probably a bum drive. I'd hit up Acer and ask for a replacement.