Inaccessible D Partition

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and this is my first post.

I have a problem with the 80Gb master Hd on this Dell (yeah, I know....).
Originally set up before my tenure as a 60Gb C, with a 20Gb D partition.

Problem is that now the D partition is no longer accessible, and I'm unable to format it either. While trying to format, explorer incorrectly lists the D partition volume as 3.3 Gb.

when looking at the drive in disk management, or partiton magic (trial version) the extra 3.3Gb volume is shown correctly as unkown. (see screenshots).

I basically dont mind blowing away the D partition alltogether (data loss not an issue) and reverting back to just one C drive, or restoring the D partion to a usable state. Whichever is more practical/quicker.

I havent used Partion Magic before and am reluctant to do so after seeing multiple online horror stories of removing partions and ending up with an unusable drive and then being unable to revert back to original state. (I DO have an issue with data loss on the C partition).

IDE diagnostics in the boot menu finds no problem with the drive (of course)

My question is does anyone know what has happened to the D volume to cause it to be unrecoverable by windows, and will partition magic accomplish what I want, from your experience with it? (I have no problem buying the software if it will do what I want and work)

Any advice/assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

G

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    Could you show the full description for the part I've underlined in red?

attachment.php?attachmentid=22060&stc=1&d=1166633988

It appears to say CP/M, which might be part of the stuff Dell likes to stash in a hidden partition for use by their recovery program should your drive get scrambled.
  • edited December 2006
    Thats also what I figured it was.
    Heres the full snapshot.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    Yep, that's it. :)
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    I used Powerquest Partition Magic (PQPM) for years before I switched over to Acronis Disk Director (after Symantec bought out PQPM and essentially killed it). The key is to backup your MFT and create a rescue boot diskette set b-e-f-o-r-e you make any changes.

Even better, if you can connect the drive to another system and image the primary & hidden partitions before attempting to repair the D partition. At the very least, get all the data backed up off the primary partition before you attempt the repair.