aaargh! console trouble

rachaelrachael saaaf of the river
edited December 2006 in Folding@Home
i have two consoles running (dual core cpu), which have successfully completed one WU each.

however, i had to reboot to complete software installations and the WUs that were being worked on at the time vanished.

i think i might have closed the clients incorrectly.

the logs mentioned improper shutdowns and something to do with checksums not being what was expected.

any advice gratefully received...

Comments

• ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited December 2006
    Rach,

If you do not have the console set as a service. "I don't" for this pc.

Then the proper way to close the client is to click inside the box to highlight it. Then press together CTRL + C to close it properly. Then do the same with the second one.

Then you can kick it off again once you have rebooted specialy after a windows update.

Shal
  • rachaelrachael saaaf of the river
    edited December 2006
    (i think) i have it set as a service as it is running in the background and doesn't show on the taskbar.

i'm a bit forgetful sometimes so i figured it'd be better if i let the client do it's own thing!

a WU is due to finish in 40 mins or so, so i will see how that goes, then try another reboot and see if it buggers up the new WU and the other one that has been going a while.

do you use EMIII? i downloaded it today but, to be honest, it's taking me a while to figure out the subtleties, so i'm not sure yet how much use it will be.

thanks for the quick reply- i only popped to the bathroom to wash off the vitamin e mud mask i had on, and there it was ;)
    edited December 2006
    btw, shal, thanks for the user title inspiration... i love that tune!
    edited December 2006
    Hmmm if it is set as a service, then you should not be having any trouble.

Allthough i have found that lately, that if i stop a wu to update or reboot, 50% of the time it will do an early unit end on me.

I had to restart all pc's at home today and atleast half of them have turned in early unit ends. So my reasoning is....the more you reboot the more chance of the work unit going south i suppose specially if you use -advmethods.

I get it with and without -advmethods. :-/

Maybe someone else can chime in with a suggestion.

I bet i mask with vit E twice as much as you. The sun really takes it out of our skin here. :( I know the sun gives natural E but here it is a little on the brutal side.
    edited December 2006
    rachael wrote:
    btw, shal, thanks for the user title inspiration... i love that tune!

I like your new one.

Ta, and thanks. :)

And no i do not use em3, never was able to work it out anyway.

Shal
  • edited December 2006
    EMIII is easy, once you get it going the first time. Believe me, if a newbie like me can get it running.
    edited December 2006
    smack wrote:
    EMIII is easy, once you get it going the first time. Believe me, if a newbie like me can get it running.

Steve, youse iz kiddin aintcha....i mean i tried and felt like i needed a cryptologist to get the %#(**!%$&@^*# thing goin sooo i said what the heck it will only use up cycles anyway. :-/

I know Datsun has it down pat.

Shal
  • edited December 2006
    Pfft. Once EMIII isinstalled you click on the options thingy (looks like a microscope). This opens a box where you configure. Near the Box Path area, you'll see 2 little computer monitor icons, the right one says "Browse to the F@H folder"

Click on that and search for where you installed FAH. Open it and click on the console (or the shortcut) Then click Add Box. If everything is shared right, it'll load it up. You can then name the box whatever. Otherwise it'll be Box1 Box2 etc.

You need to copy and paste from the EMIII folder to the F@H folder two things. Speed and EMGetCPUinf.dll if you want your processor speed to be dislpayed. This last isn't necessary, just adds bling.

For other boxen, you need to have the F@H folder shared, then search for that and start again at the "browse to F@H folder" part.
    edited December 2006
    smack wrote:
    You need to copy and paste from the EMIII folder to the F@H folder two things. Speed and EMGetCPUinf.dll if you want your processor speed to be dislpayed. This last isn't necessary, just adds bling.

For other boxen, you need to have the F@H folder shared, then search for that and start again at the "browse to F@H folder" part.

Thanks steve, i didn't know about that bolded bit above. I will give it a try later. :)

Shal
    edited December 2006
    smack wrote:
    do you mean paste into the folder in which the .exe resides? if you are running two instances of the console do you need to copy and paste copies into each folder (f@h1 and f@h2)? i want to be sure before i do it cos i really don't want to put EMIII off it's stride!

you're right tho', smack, once EMIII is up and running it seems to work fine.

shal, the 'help' provided for EMIII is pretty good- it walks you right thru the config in a way that is very easy to understand. let us know how you get on?
    edited December 2006
    Shalimar wrote:
    I bet i mask with vit E twice as much as you. The sun really takes it out of our skin here. :( I know the sun gives natural E but here it is a little on the brutal side.
    heh, heh, i bet you mask 100 times more than i do! MEN take better care of themselves in this regard than i do... i'm well lazy!

i think it's vitamin D from sunlight:

Sunlight converts 7-dehydrocholesterol in the skin to cholecalciferol (vitamin D3). A liver enzyme then converts cholecalciferol to 25-hydroxycholecalciferol; a second enzyme in the kidneys converts 25-hydroxycholecalciferol to calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxycalciferol), which is the active form of vitamin D. Stored in tissues to slight extent. Most excreted via bile. Dietary sources include fish-liver oils, egg yolk, fortified milk.

Essential for absorption and utilisation of calcium and phosphorus from GI tract. Works with parathyroid hormone (PTH) to maintain Ca2+ homeostasis.

whereas vitamin E:

Stored in liver, adipose tissue and muscles. Sources include fresh nuts and wheat germ, seed oils, green leafy vegetables.

Believed to inhibit catabolism of certain fatty acids that help form cell structures, especially membranes. Involved in formation of DNA, RNA and red blood cells. May promote wound healing, contribute to the normal structure and functioning of the nervous system and prevent scarring. Believed to help protect liver from toxic chemicals like carbon tetrachloride. Acts an antioxidant to inactivate free radicals.

fascinating, huh? i just had to write a paper on this so i copied and pasted- i'm not so dull that i know it by heart ; ) erm, :topic: !!!
  • edited December 2006
    do you mean paste into the folder in which the .exe resides?

Yep, every FAH folder you have. I forgot to mention that you have to run speed wherever you paste it.

Shalimar is a man? Oh no!!!!
    edited December 2006
    smack wrote:
    Yep, every FAH folder you have. I forgot to mention that you have to run speed wherever you paste it.

thanks, smack! i'll fix that later.

and no, as far as i am aware shal is a lovely laydee- i was just making a point that, in general, i am so lazy vis a vis maintenance etc that i know loads of blokes take better care of themselves than i take of myself. cleanse, tone, moisturise generally bores the arse off me ;D

mind you, i will be laughing on the other side of my (wrinkly) face in 5-10 years ;) keep up the good work, shal!
    edited December 2006
    smack wrote:

Oh yes! and you are so cheeky, i was wonderin how long it would be before you started stirring me up ands now ya puts your foot in it baby......sssssssmmmmmmaaaaaccccccckkkkkkkk! Now that should leave a nice hand imprint on you untill the new year. "splain that to your wife"

Farget it even steven, i am not taking the bait dis time. Niah! Niah! Niaahhhh!!!!!

Now all i gots to do is sabotage das P4 before you gets it.

Now on another note, yesem! i got em3 running now :clap: ....i must admit, i do like it.

Thank you for that.

Later
    edited December 2006
    Rach,

How are you doing with the console now?

Are things still the same or working out better. Well i hope for the better anyway.

Shal
    edited December 2006
    thanks, shal, much better- fingers crossed!

thanks to smack, EMIII is nicely configured now, and altogether the whole shebang is running smoothly. unfortunately both consoles have a boring old p2124_lambda_5way_melt_4_10011 on the go so i'm having to wait for the points from the newly active second CPU core to start rolling in :grumble:

when they're done, tho', i'll be very close to 10K...

rachxxx

ps i even downloaded the SM skin for EMIII and it looks pretty damn :cool:
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited December 2006
    smack wrote:
    rachael wrote:
    thanks, smack! i'll fix that later.

OMG! :honoes:
    edited December 2006
    heh, heh, heh!
    edited December 2006
    Lol's, another cheeky one huh! ;D

PS: Speaking of 2124 & 2125 Lamda's i am up to 8 of those now i think, i too have 2 instances of those folding on this pc as well.

They sure take their sweet time getting done.

Shal