Help with new DVD recorder!

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hi everyone. Today was my birthday so my parents just bought me a brand new DVD Recorder (Memorex DVD Double-Layer Recorder 16x16 Dual Format Internal). Just a few moments ago I tried to set it up. Btw, I have a Cyber Power computer, probably bought it 1 1/2 years ago maybe 2 at the most. It has a regular CD-RW player so I decided to get a DVD recorder. I had a few questions because whenever I tried to hook it up it wouldn't boot up. It would say:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ............
Boot from CD :

NVIDIA Boot Agent 205.0469
Copyright (C) 2001-2004 NVIDIA Corporation
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
HCPS (or something like that).....
PXE-E61: Media test Failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

If I just hook my regular CD-RW up it will work fine. But if I try to hook up my DVD player it just wouldn't boot. It may be my error, but I'm trying to figure that out. My motherboard only shows 2 slots where the drive goes. Both filled up by my CD-RW so there isn't another place to put my ribbon thing in for the DVD. Where should I hook it up to? There is also a audio cable from my CD-RW to the motherboard. Again, there is only one slot for this and not another for my DVD to have one too. Also, to make things easier, I will tell you where everything of mine is set (incase yours is different). I just really need help on where things go because I may be missing something or might be plugging/unplugging the wrong wires. Oh, there was something called a Master or Slave I saw on the tech support site and a Jumper or something. I don't know what these are, where they go, and I'm not sure if I ever got one with the package!! So if someone could PLZ help me that would be appreciated...THANKS!!!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    The jumpers are plugged right into the back of the drive next to the ribbon cable's socket. The top drive needs to be master, the bottom drive needs to be slave. There's labelling right on the drives to tell you which pins to cover (Move the jumper to) to set that up. It's usually etched into the metal, or on the drive's label on the top.
  • edited December 2006
    I did not get any wires for the jumper. All I had gotten was the DVD drive, the ribbon, and the audio cable :-/
    edited December 2006
    There are no wires. It's a plastic tab no larger than a pea.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    This is one, greatly enlarged for the photo.

It's the green thing. (They come in other colors, too.)
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited December 2006
    Hi zeige,

I believe your DVD recorder came with a small instruction guide. If you have a look at it you will find out that the jumpers are small caps that are fitted at the back of the DVD recorder close to where there main ribbon connects to.

Since you have a CD-RW connected to your computer already, I'll presume it's the MASTER so then your DVD recorder has be connected as the SLAVE. This means that the jumper cap behind it has to be fitted in the SLAVE position. Your instructions guide will show exactly over which pins to fit the jumper cap so that the DVD recorder is recognised as the SLAVE.

Once you have the jumper cap in the right place and the ribbon cable fitted it in as well you will also have to connect the power cable to the back of the DVD recorder. You should be able to find a spare one in your desktop that looks exactly like the one that is plugged to your CD-RW.

If you also want to use the audio cable then you'll have to plug it to the connector on the motherboard that your CD-RW uses and switch the CD-RW audio cable to the AUX connector which is right next to it.
  • edited December 2006
    Eh I don't think it came with one of those :-/ I'm going to try to bring it to the Geek Squad tomorrow and see what they say :-(
    edited December 2006
    Have you looked at the back of both the old CD-RW and the new DVD burner? I think if you do it will make perfect sense. Just set the new one to the same settings as the old one (Master or Slave), swap them out, and you ought to be fine. :)
    edited December 2006
    zeige wrote:
    Eh I don't think it came with one of those :-/ I'm going to try to bring it to the Geek Squad tomorrow and see what they say :-(

I work for them. You're talking to the geek squad right now.

This is a jumper on a CD-ROM:

jumper-cdrom.jpg

Notice that it's very small, installed on a set of pins, and the drive tells you what is what. Make sure the TOP DRIVE has that jumper on the pins indicated as MASTER, and the bottom one has it on SLAVE.

Another picture:

sony_dvd_rw_jumper_master_cr.jpg
  • edited December 2006
    AH okay i see it now!! It was automatically set on Master. Tomorrow I will set it on Slave and let you all know how it goes. For now, I must rest then go to school! Btw, where do the ribbon and audio cables go from the DVD drive (or do I need the audio one?) Right now on my DVD I have the ribbon going to the hard drive and the 2 slots on the CD-RW are connected to the mobo. Also, the CD-RW is connecting the audio to the mobo. Is this set properly? I will respond tomorrow afternoob because I must go now but thanks for the help!
    edited December 2006
    You don't need the audio one any more.

You should connect the ROMs to one another with one ribbon cable, and the hard drives you have to another cable.
  • edited December 2006
    So what you're saying is:
    1. Take the audio out of the DVD
    2. Connect a ribbon from the CD-RW to DVD
    3. Then connect a three-way ribbon (one of my ribbons already in there has like 3 seperate ribbon ends) - 2 to the motherboard and 1 to the hard drive?
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    No, don't do that. The cable is only connected once to the motherboard.

So, you should have this connection setup:
    Cable 1:
    A: CD-RW (master)
    B: DVD (Slave)
    C: Motherbaord

Cable 2:
    A: Hard Drive (Master)
    B: connector left empty and disconnected
    C: motherboard

Remember, with these old IDE cables, the long end goes the the motherboard, and the two close connectors go to the drives. A typical 18" cable will have about 6 inches between the connectors for the drives, and 12" for the connector that goes to the motherboard.
  • edited December 2006
    I'm sorry but that was kinda confusing :-/ ... Cables are the ribbons rights? And what you mean for Cable 1? It only has 2 ends so how will it go from the CD-RW to the DVD to the motherboard???
    edited December 2006
    Ok, then, use the cable (ribbon) with three ends for the CD-RW and DVD, and use the cable with 2 ends for the hard drive.
    edited December 2006
    You need two three end cables.

We'll call them Cables 1 and 2 with ends 1-3.

Cable 1 end 1 goes to the MASTER CD-ROM.
    Cable 1 end 2 goes to the SLAVE CD-ROM.
    Cable 1 end 3 goes to the motherboard.

Cable 2 end 1 goes to your HARD DRIVE.
    Cable 2 end 2 goes to your OTHER HARD DRIVE (if applicable).
    Cable 2 end 3 goes to the motherboard.

In ALL cases, end 1 must be master, end 2 must be slave. Set the jumpers on all drives to make sure that this is the case. All drives have their labels on them that indicate how to do it.
    edited December 2006
    A photo example would probably help zeige.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    An "IDE" cable is just one of many types of "ribbon" cables that can be found
    in the electronics industry. They are characterized by being flat. This allows
    great flexibility when "dressing" cables in a system because they can be
    folded at angles and made to lay flat, bundle nicely and fit into tight spaces,
    etc. In the computer industry, we usually just refer to them as "IDE" cables.
    Because an "IDE" cable is a type of "ribbon" cable, "ribbon" goes w/o saying.

========================

In order to connect two (CD-ROM drives in your case) on the same IDE
    channel (in most cases, Secondary IDE), you will need (1) IDE cable that has
    a total of (3) connectors on it. One end of the cable will connect to the
    (usually Secondary) IDE channel on the motherboard. The remaining two
    connectors (positioned close together at the other (far) end of the cable)
    will connect to your two CD-ROM drives.

========================

I had some very helpful links but I'm not allowed to post links yet (not
    enough posts yet) so go to Wikipedia online and search for the following:
    "Ribbon Cable", "Cable Select", and "AT_Attachment". These searches will
    lead you to very good definitions, descriptions, etc. You will find also very
    helpful information and instructions on a site called "buildyourowncomputer".
    This is a dot net rather than dot com site. Look for "hard drive install".

========================

If you decide to stay with a Master/Slave jumpered configuration then the
    last drive on the cable (connected to the *end* of the cable-fartherest
    away from the motherboard connection) needs to be jumpered to SLAVE and
    the 2nd drive (in between the SLAVE and the motherboard) needs to be
    jumpered to MASTER.

However, you can simplify things a bit by setting both of your CD-ROM
    drives to "Cable Select" (CS) on their respective jumper settings (at the back
    of each device). If you do that, you won't have to worry about which one
    is "Master" and which one is "Slave". If you jumper each drive to "CS", the
    system will sort out who is "Master" and who is "Slave" based on where they
    are located on the cable.

Note(A):
    You must use an CS-Ready 80-conductor (as opposed to the now obsolete
    40-conductor) IDE cable in order to use a CS (Cable Select) configuration.
    Newer computers will already be using 80-conductor IDE cables. If you
    purchase an IDE cable, it will be 80-conductor as well.

Note(B):
    If one device on the cable is jumpered to CS, then the other device must be
    as well. So, either jumper the two devices (1) as Master and (1) as Slave or
    jumper them both as Cable Select (CS).

TIP(1):
    When you plug in an IDE cable, you will notice that the outermost wire
    running along one edge is red (or a different color than the rest). In most
    cases, if you orient the cable so that the red (or differently-colored) wire is
    on the same side as the power connector (*usually* on the right as you're
    looking at the back of the device), you will have oriented the cable correctly
    so that it can be plugged in to the device.

TIP(2):
    If it doesn't fit, DON'T force it. Your IDE cable will only fit onto an IDE
    connector one way. Make sure you have good light. Be careful not to bend
    the pins. Look at the cable's & the device's connector b-e-f-o-r-e you
    attempt to plug the cable in. Check to make sure no pins are bent. Now,
    notice how the connectors are "keyed". (please, refer to the sites I
    recommended earlier in this post. There are very good pictures there of
    what I am describing.) The "key" forces the "pinned" connector
    (on the CD-ROM drive) and on the motherboard and the "plug" side on the
    cable's connectors. ("male" / "female" for the old school folks) to connect
    only one possible way.

NOTE(C):
    You may need to enter your BIOS as well in order to enable support of a 2nd
    IDE device on your (usually Secondary) IDE channel. Once you are assured
    that you have everything connected properly, if the drive is not detected
    when you boot into your operating system, the next logical step will be to
    enter your BIOS and check the configuration there.

Hope this helps!:mullet:
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks for the help! Though I do have a ribbon cable with 3 ends in it (already was in there from my CD-RW), the DVD ribbon had only 2 ends. I'm going to try to set it up now.
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks to everyone who helped me! I can boot up now! Very good support on this site. Only one more thing...When I go into Nero 7 and burn a DVD, it will freeze my computer about 2-10 minutes in. Is there a way to slow down the burn rate that will help this? Thanks!
    edited December 2006
    Congratulations on your success.:celebrate

I'm a new kid on the block around here but, if I'm not mistaken, it would be appropriate for you to close this thread now and start a new one related to the new issue.

:mullet:
  • edited December 2006
    Okay dokey
    edited December 2006
    ...if I'm not mistaken, it would be appropriate for you to close this thread now and start a new one related to the new issue...
    We don't normally close threads as a matter of routine, but a new thread on the new topic would be fine. :)
    edited December 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    We don't normally close threads as a matter of routine, but a new thread on the new topic would be fine. :)

Ahhh. My mistake. Newbie-to-this-forum faux pas.

Not closing a thread once an issue is resolved is new to me. I like it. Keeps the topic open for later comers.

On other forums I often see posters get (not so kindly in some cases) directed to start a new thread when the originator or any other participant veers off course of the original post. While the implementation is not always so friendly, I do understand the intent - to keep threads organized and on topic.
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, some forums are pretty nasty about johnny-with-new-topics hopping into an existing thread. :range:
    edited December 2006
    zeige's Nero thread is over here. I'm going to move a few of the previous posts from this thread over there to keep the info in one spot. :)