Noob raid issues.

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Hardware
Ok, I had the opertunity to get a hold of two WD 250GB SATA drives and I wnat to play with a raid 0 setup for my games ONLY. So I hook them up, format them NTFS and windows sees both as healthy. I enable raid in the bios for both drives, save and exit. I hit F10 during the reboot sequence and choose to have both drives in stripped format. all looks well here.

Boot into windows and it detects unknown hardware, I install the drivers for raid that came with my mobo. reboot. During the reboot sequence it states that the stripped array is 460Gb or somthing close to that and when I get into windows it states that I have only on drive now and its size is 230 Gb. What?:scratch:

What do I need to do? What am I missing? How nOOb am I!

Zuntar

Comments

• MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    The RAID is fine. It should show only 1 drive after it stripes them.

You need to partition and format the new drive and you'll be in business.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    One drive is fine but it is half of what it should be, right?

Why should I partition it and format it, it was already formated and I don't want any partitions.

Before I enabled the raid, Drive 0 was exactly like drive 1.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    All drives are partitioned, whether it is one for the whole drive or several smaller ones. The partition basically sets the drive size for use. The partition then has to be formatted in order for Windows to see it.

I would go into windows disk management, delete any existing partitions on that drive. Make sure it is not the C partition as the drives will show up physically and not logically and may not be in the expected order.

Set a new partition using the whole drive. The format the new partition using NTFS -> quick format.

Reboot and it should show up as an available drive.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Ok, so aparently what I had to do was convert both drives to dynamic drives, set up the partition on disk 0, format it NTFS, then tell it I wanted to use the whole shabang as one drive. I'm benching now to see if i'll keep it as a Raid 0 or not.

How you guys utilize the drives I have?

one 150Gb WD Raptor, two matched WD 250Gb 16M cache drives and one WD 250 Gb 8Mb cache drive.:confused2
    My plan was to keep the raptor for OS and apps, games on the raided pair, and storage / back up on the slower 250Gb.:vimp: