Windows XP Home wont load, receive BSoD

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hi, I'm new here and am not sure what information you will need. I am working on a no-name computer that was purchased from the TV by my ex. It has a K7SEM v1.0 mobo with an AMD Duron 900 mhz processor. It gives the BSoD while Windows XP HE is trying to load. I ran MEMTEST86+ on the original RAM card (PC100/PC133 256mb SDRAM) and it failed during test 5. Ex purchased two new cards and they are also failing at test 5. I have attempted to reseat all cards multiple times, both slots, as well as attempted to use one card at a time. With the original hard drive the computer would not come up in safe mode or normal mode, nor would it boot using the CD ROM. I installed a new Seagate hard drive. Windows would not install after many attempts (BSoD). Microsoft suggested turning of all caching. I disabled internal caching and BIOS caching, and finally managed to install XP Home. It took 22 hours to install.

I re-enabled internal caching and am receiving the BSoD, but it flashes off so quickly I am unable to determine the STOP code. I am able to bring up Windows in Safe mode but don't know what to do with it.

Is this a mobo or CPU failure? Please help.

Comments

• hbi1000hbi1000 Asheville, NC USA
    edited December 2006
    Hi Rugrat,

To address your BSOD flashing off so quickly you may want to get into System Properties, Startup and Recovery, settings, and uncheck "automatic restart" under system failure. That should keep your BSOD there until you hit the reset button. I believe you can do this in safe mode.

Concerning your other issues, it appears your Memtest 5 is not a good sign, particularly with new memory, test 5 also tests the memory and memory controller for stability, and it does not sound like you are an overclocker, so reducing any of your memory voltages I do not believe will help.

As far as internal caching, you really don't need the BIOS cache, or the video cache, with today's machines it's not as critical as it once was. Also, turn off, "Plug and Play" in BIOS, as that is no longer critical, as your machine's OS should pick up all the setting when it boots, and if it senses anything while running it should give you the "new device found" message.

Sorry, you may need a new mobo, which probably would not cost that much, considering all the other components you've replaced, just be sure it will support your current processor, memory, and video card, or you may end up buying additional components. Wish I could tell you more, but maybe the BSOD message, if you can get it to display will help. Also, is the system log enabled? If so, you may want to try and access that while in safe mode to see if it can shed any light on the problem.

Good luck, and drop me a line here as to how things turned out.

hbi1000