PFN error

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I was running Windows 64 and suddenly my computer crashed. I then tried install XP SP2 and now I am getting a PFN error. I tried a brand new stick of RAM and its recognizing the RAM but still getting the error. Is there a possibility that its another problem besides the RAM? Could it be the Hard Drive? Also does anybody have any thoughts on the ASUS A 8 N delux motherboard?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    Run a pass or two of Memtest-86. :)
  • edited December 2006
    Ok forgive me if this a dumb question but can I do that if I cant even load an OS?
    edited December 2006
    Memtest runs off a bootable floppy or cdrom. You don't even need a hard drive in there, much less an OS. :)
  • edited December 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Memtest runs off a bootable floppy or cdrom. You don't even need a hard drive in there, much less an OS. :)
    The memory ended up okay. The memory actually makes it through post. The first time I had bad memory I got a beep code and an audible message saying I had a memory error. Could anything else cause a PFN error and not let me load the OS?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Did you actually test the memory with memtest?

Most bad memory makes it through POST.
  • edited December 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Did you actually test the memory with memtest?

Most bad memory makes it through POST.
    No but I have a brand new memory stick wich I know is good and it also failed.This has been an ongoing problem with memory I keep ordering from tiger direct
    edited December 2006
    If none of the memory you have tried works you either have a setting out of place in the BIOS, or the MB has a faulty memory controller.

Or, you're snake-bitten when it comes to RAM. :eek2:
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited December 2006
    The problem is usually caused by faulty RAM, but also can be caused by a malfunctioning device and/or device drivers. Process of elimination should be your next step by removign devices systematically and disabling onboard devices in BIOS. Do this after you have confirmed that the memory has passed MEMTEST.
  • edited December 2006
    How can I confirm if its a bad memory controller with the motherboard?
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    KingIvan wrote:
    How can I confirm if its a bad memory controller with the
    motherboard?
    Try the RAM in a different system is one way. As for testing the controller independent of the RAM, I don't know of a way. As far as I know you'd just have to run memory diagnostics using multiple RAM modules on each memory bank/slot - then use process of elimination and deductive reasoning.

---

Something to consider, particularly if you find that you frequently experience issues w/ failed memory that you have installed, is how you handle the memory from taking it out of its ESD (electrostatic dissipitive) bag or package to installing it into your computer.

Proper handling of sensitive electronice components is very important. Many pooh pooh the idea of the impact an ESD (electrostatic discharge) can have on the sensitive electronic components inside one's computer. It's the real thing, though. In fact, system memory in particular is v-e-r-y sensitive to ESD.

Here are some links regarding ESD that might be helpful. There are many such links on the 'net. Just run a search on "ESD Precautions" in your favorite search engine:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge
    http://www.computerhope.com/esd.htm
    http://www.pccomputernotes.com/esd/esd.htm
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    (I totally pooh-pooh ESD ;D)
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    (I totally pooh-pooh ESD ;D)

:tongue: {pfffffffft!}
  • edited January 2007
    Try the RAM in a different system is one way. As for testing the controller independent of the RAM, I don't know of a way. As far as I know you'd just have to run memory diagnostics using multiple RAM modules on each memory bank/slot - then use process of elimination and deductive reasoning.

---

Something to consider, particularly if you find that you frequently experience issues w/ failed memory that you have installed, is how you handle the memory from taking it out of its ESD (electrostatic dissipitive) bag or package to installing it into your computer.

Proper handling of sensitive electronice components is very important. Many pooh pooh the idea of the impact an ESD (electrostatic discharge) can have on the sensitive electronic components inside one's computer. It's the real thing, though. In fact, system memory in particular is v-e-r-y sensitive to ESD.

Here are some links regarding ESD that might be helpful. There are many such links on the 'net. Just run a search on "ESD Precautions" in your favorite search engine:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge
    http://www.computerhope.com/esd.htm
    http://www.pccomputernotes.com/esd/esd.htm
    Thanks for the ideas. This is just so frustrating. I am pretty careful about how I handle stuff. So if it is a memory controller then I will just have to break down and buy a motherboard. Which sucks because this one is only six months old.
    edited January 2007
    KingIvan wrote:
    Thanks for the ideas. This is just so frustrating. I am pretty careful about how I handle stuff. So if it is a memory controller then I will just have to break down and buy a motherboard. Which sucks because this one is only six months old.

That'd be a bummer. I just can't think of any other way of penning it down w/o taking the memory that you're experiencing problems w/ and seeing if it works properly in a different system?
    -OR-
    Is there a computer repair or support outfit near you that you can take the memory in to and have them test it? (memory test stations are expensive but a big company may have one)
    edited January 2007
    KingIvan wrote:
    ...I will just have to break down and buy a motherboard. Which sucks because this one is only six months old.
    You ought to be able to RMA it and get a replacement. At worst, you may have to pay for shipping.
    edited January 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    You ought to be able to RMA it and get a replacement. At worst, you may have to pay for shipping.

Exactly. That too. I was thinking of a local solution or resource so that s/he could narrow down more quickly whether the problem resides w/ the RAM or w/ the computer....
    edited January 2007
    ...I was thinking of a local solution or resource so that s/he could narrow down more quickly whether the problem resides w/ the RAM or w/ the computer....
    Which is perfectly correct. I only butted in after the rest of you had pretty much covered the bases. :)
    edited January 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Which is perfectly correct. I only butted in after the rest of you had pretty much covered the bases. :)

butter inner! butter inner! butter inner! butter! butter! butter! hmmmm..... I have this sudden craving for a slice of warm toast now annnnnnnnnd.......... BUTTER inner BUTTER inner inner!!!! :crazy:;D:crazy:;D:D:D:D :woowoo: :woowoo:

Man! It's been a l-o-n-g day...........
    edited January 2007
    If I said I was an interloper you could have some cantaloupe to go with that toast. :range:
    edited January 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    If I said I was an interloper you could have some cantaloupe to go with that toast. :range:

ummmmmmmmmmmm cannnnnnnntalope! {slurp! slurp!} :p
  • edited January 2007
    Okay I have verified that my memory is good. Not only that I took some proven memory out of a friends PC and the error still exists. So is it safe to say that I have a defective motherboard? Either a memory controller or I/O being messed up?
    edited January 2007
    KingIvan wrote:
    Okay I have verified that my memory is good. Not only that I took some proven memory out of a friends PC and the error still exists. So is it safe to say that I have a defective motherboard? Either a memory controller or I/O being messed up?
    Unfortunately that's what it sounds like. :sad2:

BTW, is there a reason you started a new thread on this issue? Doing so causes a measure of discontinuity and confusion on the part of others trying to help you (or simply follow the thread) as we are missing the history of this problem (which is on the previous "PFN Error" thread). http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52936

When you start a 2nd thread on the same issue in a forum it is called "Double-Posting". Double-Posting is generally frowned upon mainly because of the confusion it can cause those trying to assist the person who started the threads. To that end, please, go back to the 1st thread you started on this issue and remain posting on that one w/ respect to this issue. Thankyou! :smiles:
  • edited January 2007
    Unfortunately that's what it sounds like. :sad2:

BTW, is there a reason you started a new thread on this issue? Doing so causes a measure of discontinuity and confusion on the part of others trying to help you (or simply follow the thread) as we are missing the history of this problem (which is on the previous "PFN Error" thread). http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52936

When you start a 2nd thread on the same issue in a forum it is called "Double-Posting". Double-Posting is generally frowned upon mainly because of the confusion it can cause those trying to assist the person who started the threads. To that end, please, go back to the 1st thread you started on this issue and remain posting on that one w/ respect to this issue. Thankyou! :smiles:
    Thank you for the advice I didnt know that about double posting
  • edited January 2007
    edited January 2007
    KingIvan wrote:
    Thank you for the advice I didnt know that about double posting
    You are most welcome as always, KingIvan! None of us start out using forums knowing the etiquette and rules. We all learn as we go along and from one another. :thumbsup:

Stick around Short Media. We enjoy having you! (Bring your friends, too!) :smiles:
    edited January 2007
    KingIvan wrote:

Unfortunately it does sound as though the problem has been narrowed down to the motherboard. Good job on the troubleshooting. :thumbsup: At least you know what it is now and you can quit fighting w/ it.

---
    F.Y.I.
    When we digress as we did in the previous few posts in this thread, we are just bantering w/one another - all in fun. Don't be afraid to butt in w/ posts that are actually relevant to the thread topic! :crazy: We're watching the thread and are waiting to help you as soon as we hear back from you. :D
  • edited January 2007
    Unfortunately it does sound as though the problem has been narrowed down to the motherboard. Good job on the troubleshooting. :thumbsup: At least you know what it is now and you can quit fighting w/ it.

---
    F.Y.I.
    When we digress as we did in the previous few posts in this thread, we are just bantering w/one another - all in fun. Don't be afraid to butt in w/ posts that are actually relevant to the thread topic! :crazy: We're watching the thread and are waiting to help you as soon as we hear back from you. :D
    Thanks and for the record I love the banter. I guess I learned another lesson about what kind of warranty I get. I have to replace a motherboard for what seemes to be a factory defect, whats to bad is I was actually very happy with this motherboard.
    edited January 2007
    KingIvan wrote:
    Thanks and for the record I love the banter. I guess I learned another lesson about what kind of warranty I get. I have to replace a motherboard for what seemes to be a factory defect, whats to bad is I was actually very happy with this motherboard.

Even the best boards have a failure rate. Sometimes we just draw the short straw. :sad2:

Good luck shopping for a new mobo. Check back here for motherboard recommendations if you like. If you decide to do that, start a new thread w/ that in the topic (e.g. Motherboard Recommendations)

Good Luck! :thumbsup: