Random Minimizing Windows

sweavesweave boston
edited December 2006 in Hardware
recently i formatted my pc and installed a fresh copy of windows xp pro service pack 2

i then had a problem with windows minimizing at random.
for example i am watching a full screen movie and it shrinks back down to a small window at random intervals and then i set it back to full screen and it occurs again.
also in games i am playing it will minimize the game back to the taskbar from full screen. i then re-enlarge it only to have it happen again.
when i am browsing windows or have folders open for example it will deselect the folder and then reselect it (folder menu bar goes gray and then back to blue)

i reformatted again and am now having the same problems again.
since then i have installed norton, zonealarm, the drivers, divx, and tuneup

what is going on?

i have a dell 8300
ati radeon x1300
windows xp pro sp2
(any other details needed please ask)

thanks

Comments

• Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited December 2006
    Sounds like something is stealing the focus. Focus is the fore-most window, and during a movie it will exit fullscreen and a game would flicker. Also it's just like you click another window, the one before grays out like you describe. Perhaps post a HijackThis log and someone can help you out. It's most likely a hidden window that you can not see.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited December 2006
    the same sort of thing is happening to my desktop while playing any steam game. I havent tried to play anything else on it because I left my games in my dorm and im home for the holidays, but when playing cs it will minimize randomly. I dont have any other programs running and no popups are appearing. I know just how annoying it is.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    Park_7677 wrote:
    Sounds like something is stealing the focus. Focus is the fore-most window, and during a movie it will exit fullscreen and a game would flicker. Also it's just like you click another window, the one before grays out like you describe. Perhaps post a HijackThis log and someone can help you out. It's most likely a hidden window that you can not see.

thanks
    here is a hijack this log
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 2:52:29 PM, on 12/23/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\csrss.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\torkan erenturk\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\osCheck.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\isPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2006\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    indeed :(
    when you mentioned stream i thought of my copy of messiah
    but like i said i did a reinstall and havent even put that in yet.

PS. in the log up there there is one entry missing since i deleted the flashget copy that i did have. but it didnt stop after i removed it :(
    it was flashget 1.7.2 i believe

PSS. also the first time around i did not have norton installed.

The reason i did the 1st reformat was because my radeon 9800 died on my (vertical lines) so i purchased a x1300 xge from visiontek and decided that i might as well work with a clean slate :(
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    one other thing.
    i havent yet installed the drivers for my dvd burner (in either formating).
    however before my 2nd format i didnt do a backup of a few files to dvd and it worked fine.
    in that case i used roxio but since the 2nd reformat i havent installed that either
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    sigh i have tried everything i can think of

ran adaware
    ran spybot
    ran cwshredder
    ran tweakui
    looked at the focus lock in the registry
    and nothing has worked :(
    i can't figure out what is wrong here and why it keeps happening.
    the system works fine after the reformat but then the next day this happens and i cant figure it out.

the only programs i installed this second time around were norton 2007, zonealarm (dled free version from the site), flashget 1.72, ati catalyst control center (from drivers installation), all the windows updates and upgraded to explorer 7.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    here is an updated hijackthis log
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 7:20:14 PM, on 12/23/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\torkan erenturk\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O2 - BHO: IeCatch5 Class - {2F364306-AA45-47B5-9F9D-39A8B94E7EF7} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jccatch.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: FlashGet Bar - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\fgiebar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\osCheck.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
    O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\isPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2006\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    edited December 2006
    Since this is a new install there's barely anything running--which is good it narrows down what it could be.

I see both Symantec and ZoneAlarm installed. Both have background activity so it would be legitimate to check both. Symantec has automatic checks and ZoneAlarm is constantly asking permission or alerting users. While it's reasonable to not want to turn either one off, I would disconnect the computer from the Internet and watch a movie with ONE turned off. Repeat with the OTHER off and play a game. Take note if the minimizing happens.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    in that case we can eliminate symantec as that wasnt installed the first time around but after the 2nd formating i did to see if that fixed the problem.

i will look into zonealarm though.

if it is the case are there any other decent free firewalls that i can use?

one thing though.
    whenever my games or my movies shrink there is nothing that pops up asking me for permission or to alert me to do anything.
    edited December 2006
    sweave wrote:
    in that case we can eliminate symantec as that wasnt installed the first time around but after the 2nd formating i did to see if that fixed the problem.

i will look into zonealarm though.

if it is the case are there any other decent free firewalls that i can use?

one thing though.
    whenever my games or my movies shrink there is nothing that pops up asking me for permission or to alert me to do anything.
    If you have a router then it most likely comes with its own firewall. On top of that you could use Windows Firewall. I'm sure there are other firewalls that people here can recommend.

A window that could cause a movie to exit full screen or games to minimize may not be a visible window. Or it could hide before you see it. Applications often use bad practices like default buttons on popups or popups that hide if they lose focus. In the first case the window would be gone if you touch the keyboard and second would happen when the movie retakes focus after exiting full screen or the game tries to recover.

These are just guesses mind you. Since it's a clean computer and Windows does not include this "feature" it has to be something installed on top of Windows. If it's possible to completely disable ZoneAlarm to try that theory then go for it. It may be easier to uninstall it for the length of a movie while off the Internet.

QUICK EDIT

If you Google "ZoneAlarm steal focus" you can see people complaining about "Auto Blocked" and other warnings from Zone Alarm.
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.5.666.000 Beta

Latest Changes:

New! Gamer’s Mode gives gamers one-click control to prevent firewall action from stealing focus away from game play while still maintaining firewall protection to the PC
    Not sure which version you have but look for a "Gamer's Mode" in the settings :)
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    hmmmkay yes i noticed that too after i had installed it
    didnt understand what it meant until now ;)

i have a hub rather than a router since so i do need an actual software firewall. is windows firewall actually good these days? when i had last heard about it a couple of years i read nothing but complaints.

the problem seems to have stopped though. i tried out another spyware program and it found problems that adaware, spybot, cwshredder didnt and removed them (a couple of trojans and a coolwwwsearch thing and a few toolbar items. no idea how they got there so fast =\)

since then i have rebooted several times and have not experienced the problems.

of course i also deleted flashget (the new version) because the spyware program said several of the things it had installed could be causing problems. after deletion i ran the program and it found things that it had left behind and i removed them.

i'll look into a zonealarm replacement tommorow then and thanks for the help :)
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    I have the Windows Firewall activated along with the 4 port router as a hardware firewall. I don't have any problems with it, and when I was on dialup, I deactivated the windows firewall and immediately got a virus that attacks program files on shared folders.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    The Windows firewall only blocks <i>outgoing</i> traffic, or traffic sent <i>from</i> your computer. It does not blocking <i>incoming</i> traffic; you got a virus due to a lapse in security somewhere else. The fact that you got it after you disabled the Windows firewall was purely coincidental. Depending on the virus, it may not have mattered if you had a firewall at all.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    I've found that it's important to have both a software firewall (installed on my computers) and a hardware firewall (usually built into the router - e.g. NAT). I use Comodo Personal firewall and have been very happy w/ it. It's FREE, user friendly, and very configurable. Too many apps these days insist on connecting to the I'net unnecessarily. In addition to protecting my systems from malicious code or attacks, I'm able to use Comodo to disable those apps from connecting to the 'net and sucking up system resources & slowing down opening of their respective apps in the process.

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

:type: Pterocarpous [a.k.a. Fruitwing]
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Microsoft Powertoys TweakUI utility for Window XP has a feature where you can prevent an app. from stealing focus. It's in the GENERAL\FOCUS settings.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

:type: Pterocarpous [a.k.a. Fruitwing]