Computer Slow - Memory Problem?

edited January 2007 in Hardware
my computer has been acting funny.. real slow always seems to be thinking and now my wireless internet dosnt work and i feel like its because of a virus or somehting i dont know i just wanna clean it!!.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:49:00 PM, on 12/23/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\WLAN\802.11b+g USB WLAN\ZDWlan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\WLAN\802.11b+g USB WLAN\ZDBrgApp.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\JoJo\Desktop\New Briefcase\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://google.icq.com/search/search_frame.php
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kav] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Global Startup: 802.11b+g USB Wireless LAN Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\WLAN\802.11b+g USB WLAN\ZDWlan.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Web Anti-Virus - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\scieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1162960325188
O16 - DPF: {E8F628B5-259A-4734-97EE-BA914D7BE941} (Driver Agent ActiveX Control) - http://driveragent.com/files/driveragent.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: klogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\klogon.dll
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 (AVP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe" -r (file missing)
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone (Pctspk) - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Comments

• edited December 2006
    would realy appreciate help if anyone can help!
  • Rahina-RescueRahina-Rescue Finland
    edited December 2006
    You HJT Logfile is Clean.
  • edited December 2006
    why would it be so slow? everything runs ridiculously slow and it always seems to be loading something.. even when the computer is at the sign in screen its loading but its loading nothing..anything you know of that i can do?
    edited December 2006
    How much Virtual memory do you currently have ? :hrm:
  • edited December 2006
    225 mb i belive
    edited January 2007
    Well, i think that is the problem, You nead moore Virtual Memory to your system.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    I believe you mean system (physical) memory (RAM) as opposed to virtual memory which is a "page" or "swap" file (depending upon the operating system) located on the HDD. :smiles:

System Memory (RAM) is the memory that is reported in Device Manager / Properties / General tab. That's the memory we plug into our computers' motherboards.
  • edited January 2007
    i went to system ram memory.. is that wrong? how come this problem is all of a sudden occuring and never happened before
  • edited January 2007
    i went to system then advanced then performance and read the number at the bottom there...
  • edited January 2007
    anyone?? i just want to know why all of a sudden i need memory its never been a problem before
    edited January 2007
    Bigciccone wrote:
    anyone?? i just want to know why all of a sudden i need memory its never been a problem before

Hello Bigciccone
    I am hesitant to believe that you have been running XP Pro SP2 w/ IE7 on 225MB RAM all along. There may be a problem w/ your memory causing it to be reported incorrectly (or correctly if part of the RAM has failed). This would account for the significant slow down of your system.

Please, do the following:
    Click on START
    Right-click on MY COMPUTER
    Choose PROPERTIES
    You'll find you are at the GENERAL tab of SYSTEM PROPERTIES
    Look towards the bottom of the tab window.
    Please, post back here w/ what you find under the COMPUTER section
  • edited January 2007
    AMD duron(tm) processor
    901 mhz 128 mg ram
    edited January 2007
    Bigciccone wrote:
    AMD duron(tm) processor
    901 mhz 128 mg ram

Thankyou Bigciccone. Please download MEMTEST86. Create a bootable media w/ it (floppy diskette or CD-R disc depending upon your system hardware).
    You may need to configure the boot device priority order in your system BIOS. See if the system will boot off of the bootable media you created. If it doesn't and you don't know how to configure your BIOS, please, let us know.

Boot off of the media (floppy diskette or CD-R disc) and test your memory. Let the test run for at least an hour (unless it fails right away) to give it a little bit of a workout.
    edited January 2007
    This is the wrong place to discuss about this. Please start a new thread over here --> http://www.short-media.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Since this issue appears resolved, this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
    a PM, with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited January 2007
    Thread reopened and moved to General Hardware.
  • edited January 2007
    i put memtest of a floppy disk and it said it couldn't read it .. so i put it on a cd-r and it didnt boot from the disk.. so i started the computer and had it start from the cd. but nothing happened
    edited January 2007
    Bigciccone wrote:
    i put memtest of a floppy disk and it said it couldn't read it .. so i put it on a cd-r and it didnt boot from the disk.. so i started the computer and had it start from the cd. but nothing happened

If you are able to, please, try these media on a different computer and see if they work there. The FDD may be bad or the bootable floppy diskette was not created successfully. Regarding the bootable CD, you will need to change your DEVICE BOOT PRIORITY ORDER in your system BIOS.

Change the order to:
    (1) FDD (floppy disk drive)
    (2) CD (if you have more than one, choose the CD-ROM drive (by model number) you wish to be able to boot from)
    (3) HDD

If you don't know how to get into your BIOS, just let us know.
    edited January 2007
    Bigciccone wrote:
    Exactly how are you going about creating these bootable media diskettes?

Are you copying the files you downloaded from the Internet links I gave you to the diskette or CD?
    -OR-
    Are you taking the steps necessary to create a bootable diskette or CD using the files that you downloaded from the Internet?

If you do not know how to do this (create a bootable diskette or CD), just let us know. We'll step you through it.
  • edited January 2007
    i downloaded the bootable file or w.e and copied it onto a disk.. and it didnt work i dont know how to create a bootable disk. and i dont know how to get into my bios . i really need your help thank you
    edited January 2007
    Bigciccone wrote:
    i downloaded the bootable file or w.e and copied it onto a disk.. and it didnt work i dont know how to create a bootable disk. and i dont know how to get into my bios . i really need your help thank you
    Not a problem Bigciccone. That's a perfectly understandable mistake. I'm going to include here an article I wrote w/ detailed instructions for testing your system memory and hard disk drive. Please, read through the article following the links that are provided. Much will be explained w/ respect to terminology, methodology, etc.

The article explains about testing both your system memory and your hard disk drive. Let's start with the system memory and see how that goes.

TESTING YOUR COMPUTER’S MAIN MEMORY AND HARD DISK DRIVE

Courtesy of Pterocarpous - Rev 2007/01/07(c)

You may find terms in this article that you are not familiar with. Most of them are explained here in the “WHAT IS or WHAT IS A/AN…?” section. However, if you find words or terms that are not covered in this section or if you need further explanation, please, consult one or more of the following:

ONLINE REFERENCES:
    Webopedia.com, Whatis.com, Wikipedia.org, Wiktionary.org

WHAT IS or WHAT IS A/AN…?
    ARCHIVE (COMPRESSED) FILE, BIOS, BOOT or BOOTABLE, CD (or DVD) WRITER, COMPATIBLE, DEVICE, FAQ, FREEWARE, HARD DISK DRIVE (HDD), MAIN MEMORY (RAM), MOTHER (MAIN) BOARD, ISO IMAGE FILE, OPERATING SYSTEM , UTILITY, ZIP FILE

ISO File:
    To extract an ISO file and "burn" or "write" it to a CD writable or DVD writable disc, please, download and run BurnCDCC Free ISO Utility. The program requires no actual “installation”. Instructions for using the utility are included in a file called README.TXT:
    Note: (1) If you are running Windows 98, Windows ME or Windows 2000, you must have 3rd party software (software that is not included with your operating system) installed in order to “burn” or write to a writable CD or DVD disc. (2) Regardless of the operating system, you must have a CD or DVD writer installed in order to write to CDs or DVDs.

ZIP File:
    If you are running Windows 98, Windows ME, or Windows 2000 and you do not have an “archive” or “compression” utility installed that can manage “ZIP” files, please, proceed w/ these steps. (Note, if you are running Windows XP or Windows MCE, you will not need to install an “archive” utility as one is built into the operating system.):
    Please, download and install an "archive" (compression) utility that is "compatible" with your operating system. One freeware archive utility is CAM UNZIP. It is compatible with older operating systems like Windows 98 and Windows ME as well as later operating systems.
    If you are running Windows 98 or 2000, reboot your computer
    Use CAM UNZIP to open the “zipped” files that you have downloaded

MAIN MEMORY Test:
    Download the freeware utility MEMTEST86
    Create a bootable CD or floppy diskette (depending upon the version you chose to download)
    Place the media in the system you wish to test and reboot or start the computer.
    Let the test run for a period of time. Over night is best.
    Note: If your system does not boot to the CD or floppy diskette you inserted, then you may need to change the DEVICE BOOT ORDER PRIORITY in your system BIOS. If you do not know how to do this, consult your motherboard manual or, if you do not have this, let us know and we will help you.

HARD DISK DRIVE Test:
    Download Seagate’s Seatools 3.02.04 HDD diagnostic Utility.
    This utility is only available as an CD ISO image file. (for CD only – not floppy diskette)
    -OR-
    Download Maxtor PowerMax 4.23 HDD diagnostic utility
    floppy diskette version or CD ISO image version
    -OR-
    Download [URL=”http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT”]Hitachi Hard Disk Drive Fitness Test (DFT)[/URL]
    Download the “Diskette Creator for Windows OS” version if you wish to create a bootable floppy diskette
    Download the “CD Image” (this is an ISO file) version if you wish to create a bootable CD.
    Create a bootable diskette or CD with the file you downloaded
    Insert the diskette or CD into the floppy or CD drive of the computer you wish to test then reboot or start the computer
    Test your HDD
    Note: If your system does not boot to the CD or floppy diskette you inserted, then you may need to change the DEVICE BOOT ORDER PRIORITY in your system BIOS. If you do not know how to do this, let us know and we will help you.